Chapter 27

I hear Mia standing in the doorway of my bedroom but she doesn't dare take a step inside. She's hesitant to enter, and I don't blame her. Not after what happened yesterday. I know she would never judge me for taking the break up so badly, but a part of me can't help but feel ashamed. For the first time ever I let all my defenses drop, and showed my most vulnerable self.

No one had ever seen me like that. Not even Mia. I always have some sort of wall up, but yesterday, all my defenses crumbled, leaving me weak and exposed.

"Alexa," Mia whispers, finally gaining the courage to speak. I know she deserves an answer but I can't bring myself to respond, and just lay in bed motionless, pretending to be asleep. I feel a teardrop fall on my hand, followed by another, where it rests by my head but I don't move. I stay still, hoping Mia gets the hint that I want to be left alone and leaves me be, but she doesn't. I hear her walk into the room and next thing I know, she's sitting down on the edge of my bed.

I keep my eyes closed and flinch when I feel her wipe my tears. "It's okay, Alexa," she reassures me. "I know you're awake."

I sigh. "I can't act for jack crap," I respond with my eyes closed and finally turn to face her. I wish I hadn't because all I see reflected in her eyes is nothing but sadness. Her heart aches for me and my loss because I lost the most amazing man to ever walk into my life.

"You never were great at acting," Mia tells me with a small smile, making me laugh for the first time in hours.

"So I'm told," I respond with a grin, remembering how Johnny had made fun of my crummy acting skills not too long ago. "So why are you really here? We both know you're not here to criticize my terrible acting skills."

"No, definitely not," she says with a laugh. "I came to let you know that I talked to Betty and she said to take the day off."

"You did that?" I respond, touched by her thoughtfulness.

"Yeah, I thought you could use another day off, so I called her and told her what happened," she tells me and I panic. "I didn't tell her everything," she quickly interjects, putting me at ease. "I just told her the gist of it, but I didn't go into detail."

"So she knows he and I broke up?" I ask her but refuse to be the first to say his name. It hurts too much to think of him.

"Yeah, she knows."

"This sucks," I respond with a sigh and cover my face with my pillow.

"Hey." Mia yanks the pillow off my face and peers over me. "Everything is going to be okay. I'll be there with you tomorrow and every day after. If you feel like you need a few minutes to breathe, just come get me and I'll take care of your client while you take a couple of minutes for yourself. Okay?"

"What's Betty going to think if I do that?"

"Betty will understand. She isn't just our boss. She's like a second mom to us, so when we hurt, she hurts too. You have nothing to worry about," she reassures me, taking my hand in hers.

"Thank you, Mia. For today. Yesterday. For everything. I don't know what I would have done if you hadn't shown up when you did yesterday. You truly carried me through one of my lowest moments and I'll forever be grateful to you for that," I tell her honestly and feel myself starting to tear up.

"Stop it. You're going to make me cry," Mia says with a small laugh as she dabs the corners of her eyes with her fingers. I laugh with her. "You don't have anything to thank me for. I will always be here for you, no matter what."

"Even if I marry Channing Tatum?" I ask with a grin, knowing full well he is her man crush every day.

"If you marry him you better make me the maid of honor, so I can at least hook up with the hot best man."