Chapter 20

We make it to the front of the line and laugh and smile as we try to catch our breath.

"That was fun," I tell Nate as he presses himself to my back.

"It was," he responds, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"So this is what you wanted to ride?" Nate asks in surprise and I look up at him.

"Yup. This is it," I answer as I turn my head and look at the slightly enclosed strawberries that are spinning round and round. They are basically like the teacups in the happiest place on earth, but the difference is that these are shaped like strawberries and they are huge and enclosed. They aren't completely private but if Nate and I angle ourselves well enough we can get away with kissing while the strawberry spins in circles.

"I can't believe you want to go on this."

"Why? Are you afraid I'll get dizzy."

"No, this is a kids ride."

"That's what you think," I tell him with a wink and he just shakes his head in disbelief. He clearly doesn't care for this ride, but I'm going to change his mind.

The ride comes to a full stop a few minutes later and the ride operator unloads all the strawberries, telling riders to head towards the exit. He double checks that everyone is off before letting all of us who are waiting in line on the ride. As soon as he lets us past the gate, I pull on Nate's arm and tell him to run.

I break into a sprint and he runs after me as I make my way towards the furthest strawberry on the ride. I burst into laughter, feeling giddy as a kid and Nate laughs with me every step of the way.

It's refreshing to hear him laugh. He hardly ever laughs the way he's laughing now. It's so carefree and lighthearted like him. I save the moment to memory, knowing this is one of those rare moments I get to see another side to Nate that he doesn't always let show, but when he does, it's with me and me alone.

We make it to the strawberry I had my eye on and jump inside before anyone can steal it from us.

"You surprise me every day, you know that?" he tells me as we take a seat across from each other.

"Why is that?"

"Because you make me feel like a kid all over again. I haven't laughed like that in a long time," he confesses and I'm glad that I'm the reason he laughed as much as he did.

"I felt the same way as we ran over here," I admit.

"You know, I've never felt this way with anyone before. One moment I feel like a kid when I'm with you, and the next moment I want you like I need air and water. The way I feel about you can go from completely innocent to full-fledged desire," he confesses and I see the fire dancing behind his eyes.

"Nate...," I plead. If he says anything else, I will burst into flames.

"Do you both know the rules?" I hear a voice ask, and am thankful for the interruption for once. I turn towards the ride operator and smile.

"We do."

"Enjoy your ride you two," he tells us and locks the small gate that is meant to keep us from falling out of the strawberry.

"Stay on your side, unless you want me like I want you," Nate says huskily, making me gulp. I do want him and had planned this whole thing for this very reason, but now that I have him in front of me practically offering himself to me, I can't help but feel nervous.

The ride starts up with a small jump and before we know it we are starting to spin, but Nate does not take his eyes off me. I swallow back nervously but refuse to break eye contact with him.