Book I: Change

Chapter III

     Immediately, power returned to every blade and Rex took no time in drawing Pyra's sword. "You have about six seconds to explain what in the hell just happened."

     I attempted to defend myself. "I—I don't know! Resonating with a taken blade should only be possible using an overdrive or being the Master Driver! I've never even had an overdrive and I'm not even a real Driver! I just resonated with that one blade, honest!"

     "Prove it." Rex rushed me, I got back up on my feet and held up Mythra's sword to block and it didn't help. He knocked me back down within a few seconds. Rex put away his sword. "He's telling the truth," Rex said. "He knows less than I did when I got Pyra."

     I sighed with relief, but it was short-lived. "Well what do we do?! I can't be his blade! I'm your blade Rex!" Mythra said, with a weird mix of anger and desperation in her voice.

     "Why don't we rest for the night and come back tomorrow. It will give us time to calm down and decide what we need to do." I concluded.

     "I don't want to hear anything from—" Mythra started.

     "Enough Mythra," Rex interrupted. "He's right, going at this problem now will only lead to more problems later. Let's rest up and meet back up tomorrow."

     "Hmph!" Mythra disappeared into the crude shelter Rex and Zeke had built earlier, Pyra followed behind her immediately. I started grabbing some branches to make my own, but Poppi helped me out and used her superstrength to make one much faster than I could've.

     "Thanks, Poppi," I said.

     "No problem friend!" Poppi said in her fun-loving voice.

     "Friend huh? Why do you say that?" I asked, confused.

     Poppi replied. "Poppi doesn't think you threat. Poppi just thinks you lost, and needs friends' help!"

     I chuckled, "Thanks Poppi! That means a lot...."

     "Friend very welcome!" Poppi said, before joining the rest of the girls.

      Rex approached me before I could enter my shelter. "I want to give you a fair warning," he said. "If you try to hurt or use her inappropriately, I will stop you."

     "I'd hope so. That's not what I want. Hell, I don't think she even deserves to be in this mess. I just wanted to know who I was! I'll try to find a way to return her to you, but if this is what's been planned then I have no choice but to embrace it...." I replied.

     "Sounds like you got the right mindset," Rex said. "I'll see you tomorrow."

     "Yeah...," I said after a pause. "Goodnight." And with that, we went to sleep.

***********************

     "Please! I have a family!" said the man. A bone-chilling giggle was let out by his pursuer.

     "No, you don't!" the blade said playfully. "They're gone! But I would love to send you to them!"

     He screamed, but the screams were drowned out with his decapitation.

     "Isn't it great Waylon? They'll all die!" she said. I didn't realize I could speak up until this point. But even with that realization, I was too weak to. "Don't worry though, soon enough you'll join them yourself, well...maybe after I have my fun with you! How's the Aegis?"

***********************

     And with that, I woke up, I was crying again. My throat was dry and sore, I might have been screaming too. I left my tent to be surround by Rex and the others.