Book III: Cutting Your Losses

Chapter XVI

     "First off I want to thank each leader here today for taking time away from their personal nations to discuss a method of unity in this new beginning in Elysium," I started.

     "I would also like to congratulate the newly crowned King Zeke von Genbu and wish him a long and prosperous reign," I continued. He gave me a wink and the other leaders applauded him, it was definitely sweet.

     "Now, I would like to ask, starting with Queen Raqura and working clockwise, what the biggest issues are in regards to a coalition between nations actually coming to pass. Queen Raqura?"

     "The biggest issue in my opinion was dwindling land that grew to be a bigger threat than we initially realized. With Tantal I had an issue with them being so secretive, but I've always respected Emperor Niall. Any man willing to risk his life for the sake of someone he's been threatening war with for a greater cause has my greatest respect."

     "King Zeke?"

     "I have no objections whatsoever in attempting to form this alliance. The rulers before me made a mistake when they cut off the rest of the world, I intend to do the opposite."

     "Emperor Niall?"

     "I have only had issues with Tantal's secrecy as well. I believe that Queen Raqura is respectable and only wishes to look after her kingdom, just as I would mine."

     "Ok good!" I started, "then the writing of this treaty can begin. Nia, will you bring out Adenine?"

     "Yeah, sure," she responded, and soon Adenine was in front of us.

     "Salutations, how may I be of assistance?" she asked Nia.

     "Help out Waylon over there, would ya?" Nia asked.

     "Ah yes, the new Aegis driver!" she said turning to me. She curtsied and held out her hand. "I am Adenine, pleasure to meet you!"

     "Likewise," I said, doing a courteous bow and shaking her hand in response.

     She laughed. "Definitely more of a gentleman than these simpletons," she said, referring to Zeke, Rex, and Tora.

     I laughed back. "Hey Adenine, I know you enjoy reading, but do you mind writing something for me?"

     Adenine looked both excited and shocked by the question. "Oh! A real challenge for my brain? What do you have in mind to put my cognitive abilities to the test?"

     "I knew I could count on you," I smiled. "I need you to help write a treaty between all of the nations of Alrest. In doing so, every word, if agreed upon by everyone, will set a new course in history for the land of Elysium."

     Her eyes lit up like the Fourth of July! ...Not that anyone on Alrest would actually understand that simile. "Why I would be absolutely honored!" she said ecstatically.

     "Thank you kindly!" I replied before turning back to the leaders. "The first order of business is to completely abolish the Ardanian, Urayan, and Tantalese armies."

     "Have you gone mad?" the queen stated. "What if a cruel emperor were to rise to power, how would we protect ourselves?!"

     "I quite agree with Queen Raqura," Emperor Niall added.

     "None of you will be a threat to each other anymore. You will not be a collection of allied nations working in coalition. You will be the provinces of Mor Ardain, Uraya, Tantal, Gormott, and Leftheria in the nation of Alrest on the land of Elysium," I explained.