Book I: Change

Chapter IV

Clutching the sword in my hand, I ran full force at her and took a strong swing to the left, she narrowly dodged it and was surprised by the speed of the attack. She went for a few hits herself but I parried all three of them and hit back full force, knocking her on her back. She immediately got up and I didn't hold back, both of our swords swung around insanely fast, clashing against each other with seemingly little effort. We each gave our all and in the end, I emerged victorious....

Well, that's how I wish it went down. INSTEAD, I ran full speed and she used the flat-end of her sword to slam me into the ground. I immediately tried to get up, only to find her driving the hilt of her sword into the side of my head, knocking me almost unconscious. I tried to get up again but she kicked me about four feet back and into a tree where she kicked me in the face and then proceeded to press her foot down on my throat.

"Oh? What's the matter 'O Knowledgeable Driver of the Aegis'?" Mythra mocked. "Can't beat the girl?" I tried to get up, but she immediately pushed down on my throat, and I was helpless. "You see? Stick with me and this is what's going to happen. You'll get your ass kicked and humiliated every chance you have. The world will be against you and continue to fight you simple because I'm next to you. So until you can pull your sorry ass together and finally come at me like a man, I'll own your dignity and you'll always be below me. Understood?"

"Mythra stop it!" Pyra exclaimed.

"Oh please, you know damn well I'm right. This little pathetic weakling has no place being a driver, let alone mine. And if he's here tomorrow, I'll kick his ass again," she got off of me and began walking away. "Nia I broke his arm and probably a couple ribs, you know what to do. I'm going to go rest." But before Nia could even do anything I was already gone, limping my way up a hill overlooking the ocean.

Mythra laughed. "Guess he's giving up already. Bye hun!" She then went into her shelter.

Pyra shot her a look before getting up. "Hold on Nia, I got this one." Nia acknowledged her and she walked over the hill I went over. I was sitting down, staring at the ocean, any pride I had was hurting way more than any bone she broke. I was grumbling to myself before Pyra sat down next to me. "Are you giving up?" she asked.

I let out a chuckle. "No, no, of course not. I...just needed to clear my head."

"Look, I'm sorry about Mythra. I—" Pyra began, but I cut her off.

"No, don't apologize. She's right."

"What?"

"She's right. If I do this I'm going to have to endure everything Rex did, if not more. I get what she's doing, she's finding out whether I have the guts or not to keep going. Because if I gave up now, then what would even be the point of me sticking around?"

"I think she just really dislikes you," Pyra laughed. "But that's a good way to look at it."

"I think she's angry at me, but she doesn't dislike me. I looked in her eyes at one point. I saw every emotion she had, because they matched mine. She's scared out of her mind and she can't have a weak driver on top of that. I have to be stronger! Not just for me, but for her! And you guys too!" I said.

Pyra giggled, and then laughed. "Oh my god you are such a Rex! I think you'll do great."

"Heh, I guess so.... Clearly I'm not learning anything from her any time soon, and we need to move fast. Will you and Rex start training me tomorrow morning?" I asked her.

"Of course. I mean, you'll have to clear it with Rex, but I know he won't say no. You want to head back?"

"Yeah, hey can I request something from you? I don't want anyone else to know about this, this is between you and me."