Book IV: The Third Aegis

Chapter XXIV

     In the blink of an eye, we arrived back at the Torigoth Refugee Camp, but except for Azurda, everyone had already gone back to Torigoth.

     "You're back?" Azurda asked. "How did you arrive so fast?"

     "Well you see, Mythra and I can move at the speed of light," I explained.

     "But usually moving at that speed for long distances can drain my power, especially when it's just me and not my True Form," Mythra continued from behind me.

     "So how can you do it now?" Azurda asked.

     I stared him in the eyes for a second before he finally noticed.

     "Your eyes...," he examined.

     I then proceeded to step out of the way so he could see Mythra's core crystal.

     "Oh my," he laughed. "Well done boy, I didn't think a feat like this was even possible. But then again, impossibilities seem to be thrown out the window whenever she's around."

     Mythra blushed, and continued to hide behind me.

     "Mythra, what's wrong? You're usually so much more confident!" I inquired.

     "People are gonna be staring at my core crystal now! It's making me self conscious and I'm annoyed!" she whined.

     "Mythra you're the legendary Aegis, people have been staring at you ever since you were awakened," I laughed.

     "I know! But it feels different now!" she complained.

     "Do you want to wear more clothes so that way they have less to stare at?" I asked, making Azurda chuckle a bit.

     I got slapped for that one.

     "What?!" I laughed. "It was a legitimate question!"

     "No! I'm not changing my look!" she yelled defensively.

     "Well then don't start shrinking behind me now! If you're gonna wear a bold outfit, then be bold about it, don't make it awkward all the time!"

     "Ugh, fine," she said finally.

     "You good?" I asked.

     "Shut up."

     "Ok then," I said, turning back to see Rex and the others show up. Azami came slamming into me at full speed.

     "Hello My Driver! You won! I'm so proud!!" she squealed.

     "So I'm guessing you all...," I started.

     Rex cut me off. "Yeah, we know. That was pretty stupid, you could've gotten yourselves killed!"

     "I don't pick fights I can't win, I knew what I was doing," I defended.

     Nia slapped me. "Yeah, do that again and I'll kill ya myself!"

     I laughed nervously. "Ok! I get it, it won't happen again."

     "Your eyes," Rex noticed.

     "What happened to your eyes?" Nia asked.

     I laughed a bit. "You should be more interested in Mythra's core crystal."

     "What? What happened—" Rex started before he saw it.

     Mythra punched me discreetly in the arm before whispering in my ear. "I tell you I'm getting self conscious and the first thing you do is point it out! Are you serious?!"