Book II: The Fourth Driver

Chapter XIII

     I woke up in a daze, as I slowly began to clear my head, I realized that the curtain that separated Mythra and I had been knocked over. My first thought was that one of us sleep-walked through the curtain. I looked around quickly. Mythra wasn't in my bed, but some of her belongings were on the side I was on, I then noticed that she was lying in bed on the other side of the room.

     "Mythra?" I called, waking her up.

     "What?" she said drowsily, as she sat up, she looked around and saw my belongings on her side.

     "Wait what... happened?" she said in confusion.

     I could barely hold back my laughter. "Mythra we sleepwalked into each other's beds!"

     She thought about it for a second before we both erupted with laughter.

     "Oh wow we really are the worst sleepers...," she said.

     "Agreed, lets go get some breakfast," I said before closing the curtains and getting ready for the day.

     I opened the door to find a Urayan guard waiting outside.

     "Are you Waylon?" he asked.

     "Yes...," I responded hesitantly before instinctively and carefully placing my hand on the Aegis sword.

     "Ah good! Queen Raqura wanted me to bring you to the dining hall for a breakfast before you leave!" he explained.

     "Oh, ok! Let me grab Mythra and we'll get going," I said, taking my hand off the sword.

     "Ah! No, she only wants you to come," he said.

     I thought for a moment.

     I laughed. "Listen buddy, you're not a good liar. Walk away, right now," I threatened.

     "Wh-What are you talking about! I'm just carrying out the queen's orders!" he defended.

     "Mhm, take off your helmet."

     "What? Why?!"

     "I want you to look me in the eyes and tell me you're not lying," I explained.

     He hesitated, but then he finally took off his helmet. His face had one scar, but otherwise he was bald. His skin had a blue hue to it.

     "I ain't lying I swear!" he said.

     Looking into his eyes, I could see the fear. He was terrified. Not just nervous, but he was either lying or there was serious consequences on the line. Either way, he was definitely being dishonest.

     I decided to play along. "Oh! Well ok! What are we having for breakfast!"

     He calmed down a bit, but he was still really tense. "A whole Urayan spread!"

     "You mean you didn't even come up with a good answer to a simple question before you planned to murder me in the hallway?" I asked, laughing. "You're quite the amateur for an assassin. So you have about five seconds to drop your knife and explain everything before I make sweet love to your chest with a business end of the Aegis sword." I pulled out my sword.

     He dropped the knife he had hidden and got on his knees. "I'm sorry! She made me do it! Please don't—" he started before his head came clean off his body.

     "Such a shame. Oh well, maybe my new slave will do better," I heard Cereza say. She laughed. "Best of luck dumbass! And thanks for the show!"