Book III: Cutting Your Losses

Chapter XIX

     As soon as we hit the ground, Rex and I moved at the speed of light and cleared an area of about a thousand peds around us, we took the next fifteen seconds to give our blades a breather.

     "Ok listen Rex, have you noticed anything weird when we fight?" I asked.

     "Yeah, it almost feels like you're another blade," he responded. "Being able to—"

     An Indoline Star came crashing down, I jumped up and pounded it in the face with the flat end of the sword, passing it to Mythra, Rex jumped and sliced through the beast. Mythra got it with Siren and Rex passed his sword to me and I dealt a Sword Bash, finishing it off.

     "Being able to pass our swords back and forth like this. It's incredible!" he finished.

     "Agreed, it seems as two drivers of the Aegises, fighting with the same sword, we are directly linked to each other just as blades are linked to their own drivers," I explained in depth.

     "So what if, while we were fighting, we cut through the main heard and pass it off to Pyra and Mythra to finish them off," Rex recommended.

     "Exactly, that way we can use light speed less often and give the girls some more time for rest."

     "You love birds get a plan yet or is it simply 'keep attacking'?" Mythra asked mockingly.

     "Yeah," I responded, ignoring her joke. "We're going to keep tossing the swords around each other to cover more distance, that way we don't overdo it with you two."

     "Right, that should be helpful," Pyra responded.

    "Oh please, we have power for days, we don't need your coddling," Mythra responding.

     "Oh? And when Cereza and Zaccharias come to fight are you just going to magically have all the power you need? Or will you be so out of breath that your pride act gets us all killed? C'mon Mythra, stay on point. Kill all of these, conserve as much energy as possible, that's the goal," I snapped back.

     "Whatever," she responded.

     "Mythra, am I right?" Rex said mockingly.

     "Must be her time of the month," I winked.

     Pyra laughed. "Every day is her time of the month."

     Rex looked at us questioningly. Pyra and I rolled our eyes.

     "You'll understand one day Rex," I laughed.

     Mythra chose to ignore the conversation. Probably for the best.

     Rex shook his head. "Alright, as soon as they close in, we both need to hit a double spinning edge in opposite directions."

     "And once we've completed that, we'll pass the swords to you girls and you use your Sirens to deliver the final blows," I finished.

     We got into a fighting stance, waiting for the beasts to close in.

     "Wait do blades have times of the month?" I asked out of nowhere.

     Pyra completely lost it and laughed. "No, but all women just genuinely understand the concept very thoroughly for some reason."

     "Ha! She called you a girl," Mythra said to me.

     "So funny," I shot back sarcastically.

     "Hey, stop the riddles! We've got a mob to end!" Rex snapped.