Book IV Finale: Origins of Cereza

Chapter XXVII

     The year was 3566. Two years after the Aegis disappeared from this world. One year after the construction of the Spirit Crucible Elpys had finished. Addam had retreated to the land of his mother, in Leftheria.

     "Where will you go now?" Addam asked the contractor.

     "Well, thanks to the genius architecture you've provided, this building will survive the Leftherian titan's descent into the Cloud Sea," the man replied. "Now that it's all said and done, I'll pay the boys and we'll get on with the next contract. I hear the Ardanian empire is lookin' for some good builders to put together a new palace. I may not quite trust them yet, but that royal family has deep pockets."

     Addam laughed. "Money's good no matter where it comes from, eh?"

     "You know it my prince!"

     "Please, please, just Addam now. There is no land for me to rule. I am no prince," he corrected.

     "You've still always got my respect sir, I will gladly treat you with the respect you've earned."

     "I failed both the Aegis and my nation, I hardly deserve it...."

     "Still bummed about the lass are ya? Don't beat yourself up, you did the best you could do! I can't name one man who could've done it better!" he argued.

     Addam looked away silently.

     "Look, I can't tell you how to feel, but even if you think you've lost everything. You killed Malos and saved other lands from the same fate, if nothing else, that's something you can take pride in."

     "But at what cost? I just hope that one day she finds someone who can help her move on, it won't be easy. Bless the heart of her next driver."

     The man bowed his head before saying goodbye to his old friend. "I'll see you later Addam, none of these guys will ever speak of what was built here," he vowed.

     "After this titan sinks, there won't be anyone to worry about anyway, this will be treacherous for any driver, and impossible without a blade," Addam assured.

     "Right, I'll make sure your wife and child get here safely, you take it easy prince, you've earned a good break."

     Addam nodded.

     This would be the last time that these two ever spoke. Soon Addam's wife and child did come, and in the meantime Addam worked on a small village for the people that had helped build Spirit Crucible Elpys. This settlement became known as Fonsett Village. Addam soon offered the village to the survivors of Spessia and thus began living his life away from the rest of the world.

     He took it upon himself to feed everyone by maintaining the garden at his lonesome. He preferred to be left alone, as he felt that it was only fair, for he had left her alone. He toiled all day, he enjoyed the work, but still felt tortured by it. The news of Lora, Jin, and Haze did not bring any extra comfort. They were dead, and it was his fault. Had he not sent them to Spessia in the first place they could still be....

     Azurda told Addam of what had become of Jin, but he insisted that Jin be left alone to grieve. All Addam simply wanted now was to live his life alone, taming his frustrations with a plow rather than a sword.

     He grew his crops away from Fonsett, brought them into the village, and then left them there. Many tried to follow him, to see where he'd hide, but not a soul could manage.

     One day as he sat by the beach, he passed out due to overexertion. When he awoke, he noticed something had washed up next to him. A crystal, black as night. At first he thought it was Malos', but in closer inspection he realized this wasn't the case. Out of curiosity, and against his better judgement, he touched the crystal. Why he did it, he wasn't sure, but something about this core crystal was special.