Book II: The Fourth Driver

Chapter IX

     I woke up in a cold sweat. I shot up immediately and looked around. Everyone was still asleep and I snuck outside, only to run into Mythra.

     "Mythra?! What are you...?" I realized she was sleep walking again. I laughed and then flicked her forehead, she shot awake.

     "Ow! What the—!" she started angrily. I shushed her before informing her that she was sleepwalking, she blushed and then irritably sat by the dying fire. I sat in the seat next to her and stared blankly at the fire.

     After calming a bit, she spoke. "So why are you up anyway?"

     "Vale's dead," I said, getting it off my chest as quickly as possible.

     "What do you mean Vale's dead?!" Mythra said in shock.

     "I mean that Cereza shattered her core in her teeth right in front of me," I said.

     Mythra didn't seem to know how to respond. "Wasn't she with Rex?! Why hadn't he done anything?!"

     "Because Pyra can't see things at the speed of light! That's you! And Zeke might've been able to as well had he been there. So I guess we can chalk another death to my list of mistakes.... They didn't even know she was gone...." I said, tears running down my cheeks.

     To my surprise, Mythra gave me a hug. "Listen, I know how you feel. There are deaths that resulted in mistakes I made too, but unless you directly killed her yourself, it wasn't your fault. Don't blame yourself," she said before letting go.

     I sighed. "She absorbed her power."

     "What?"

     "After she killed Vale, a black Megalance appeared in her hand, that was Vale's weapon. It seems she can absorb blade skills from the crystal's of other blades," I said.

     "So in other words..." Mythra began.

     "If she absorbs you or Pyra, we could be done for," I finished. We both sat quietly for awhile. We heard the other's getting up.

     "You'd better not tell them I was sleep walking," Mythra glared.

     "Relax," I smiled weakly, before converting to a more serious expression. "We've got bigger fish to fry."

     "Oh! Speaking of frying," Mythra started. "Should I make breakfast?"

     "You can cook?" I laughed.

     "Yes! Of course I can! I was the best chef ever back in Torna. Who do you think taught Pyra everything she knows," she said smugly.

     "Well if you're sure!" I said, going back into my tent to get ready. Mythra grabbed a pot out of our inventory and filled it with water.

     Shortly after getting dressed and discussing my outfit once again with Zeke, I heard Mythra scream. We ran out immediately to find that the pot was on fire and the fire was spreading.

     "Help! I set it on fire!!!" Mythra shouted.

     "What were you cooking?!" I asked in surprise.

     "Nothing yet! I was just boiling water!!" she screamed again.

     "HOW DID YOU SET THE WATER ON FIRE?!" I shouted, half laughing.

     "I DON'T KNOW!!!!!" she shouted back.

     We, except Mythra, laughed as we grabbed some water and put the fire out.