Book I: Change

Chapter VI

"What does that mean?!" I yelled angrily at Cereza as she stood, unfazed.

"I've come to punish you for cheating me," she said. I knew I had to react quickly so I grabbed Mythra's sword and attacked with everything I had.

"REX! NIA! TORA! GET OUT HERE AND HELP ME!" I yelled as I swung at her, with a rush of power I had never felt before. Was this Mythra finally helping me? Or was this something I could do on my own?

She giggled as she dodged expertly. She pulled out her own sword and we went at it. My blows were landing just as fast as hers. She went for a hit and I backflipped away and went in for a sword bash. I used the grappling hook to topple her and then plowed into her, throwing her into a tree, she laid there, dazed. She then looked at me with a wink before someone tackled me to the ground.

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Mòrag yelled at me, pinning me on the ground.

I quickly retorted. "What are you talking about? I was defending against—" my blood ran cold and I felt my face turn pale as I dropped the sword and looked upon the terrified face of the person whom I had been attacking.

I had been whaling on Poppi this entire time.

"Wh-what? No! I didn't—" I ran speechless, tears in my eyes, she was the last person I'd ever want to hurt!

Rex butted it in. "Mòrag, something's wrong, get off him."

Mòrag hesitated, but knew there was no point in arguing with Rex, so she did. I immediately got up and backed away from the sword.

"Where did you get this sword?" Rex asked.

"Th-that's the Aegis sword," I said, not knowing what he meant.

Zeke corrected me. "No chap, you left the Aegis sword in the shelter. You didn't want to grab it until you tackled some physical work," he said, obviously not sure what happened himself.

"This was my fault... th-this was a mistake. I-I have to go!" I ran into the woods before anyone could stop me.

"I got this one," Mythra followed.

"Mythra wait!" Poppi interrupted. Mythra stopped and looked at her. "Waylon never would hurt Poppi, don't hurt him because of mistake," Poppi said, scared that Mythra was going to hurt me.

"I know," she said before walking after me.

She found me with my legs wrapped up in my arms, I was crying. How could I have hurt her? She had only helped me and was the nicest person I'd ever known. How could I have done this?!

She sat down next to me without saying a word. I looked up at her and she met my gaze, not saying a thing. Instantly I began to feel calmer.

"I don't need to say anything, do I?" she said.

I shook my head.

She continued. "It works both ways y'know? Pyra has been telling me that you can see what I'm thinking. At first I was doubtful, but I realized I could too. That's how I knew you weren't lying when you said you controlled all of us."

"I hurt her... how could I have done that?! She hadn't done anything!" I was so angry at myself.

"Because, you weren't aiming for her, were you? When we get back you have to explain everything you can to them," Mythra said.

"How long?" I asked.

"Excuse me?"

"How long did you feel like you had to explain yourself constantly for the mistakes you made?!"