Med- What did you say?

AN: I got this idea after watching the sneak peek for Med. More notes at the end of this update.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Natalie POV:

I wake up curled up in Will's arms. I missed this. Nothing can go wrong when I'm with Will.

I glance at the clock and notice that the alarm should be going off, then I feel Will get up. He immediately turns off the alarm clock, like he usually does when it goes off. Why is he doing it if the alarm didn't go off?

I glance at him and give him a look of confusion. He then mouths something, and I give him an even further look of confusion. Why isn't he saying anything?

"What's going on Will? Just say something already." I say as I roll my eyes.

However, as I say it I notice I can't hear anything. I've gone deaf.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As I'm laying in a bed in the ED I start thinking of why this could be happening. I mean, I know Will won't stop working until he figures it out, but I still can't help but wonder. Is this permanent?

A few minutes later Maggie comes into my room with a whiteboard and a dry erase marker.

'How are you?' She writes on the board.

"Scared." I say.

'We're gonna figure this out Nat, don't worry.'

I slowly nod my head before her and Will start a conversation I can't hear. When will this end?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I fell asleep. I dreamed that I could hear. I've never wanted something so bad before. I need to be able to hear. Without my hearing I won't be able to be a doctor.

A few minutes later Ethan comes in followed by Sharon. He scribbles something on a whiteboard, and shows it to Sharon before turning it around towards me.

'Natalie, before you freak out we want you to know we're going to help you figure this out. The tests show that you lost your hearing due to an ear infection gone wrong. We have no way of knowing whether this is permanent or not. We're going to help you figure this out, we promise.'

After I finish reading that I stare at him in disbelief. I've gone death.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's been a few weeks and nothing has improved. Maggie is trying to teach me ASL (sign language) but it's a very slow process. I know the alphabet and a few words, but that's it.

She's also trying to teach Will so we can have conversations but he's learning much faster than I am. At this rate I'll be fluent by the time my hearing returns, that is if it ever does.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How are you today? Maggie signs when she walks into my hospital room.

They've been keeping me here to monitor my recovery.

I'm exhausted, and bored. Oh and did I mention that I want my hearing back now? I sign back angrily.

It's going to be okay Nat, I promise. You know we wouldn't lie to you.

But nothing has improved! I can't even learn sign language!

Nat, it's been a week it took me two months to learn, and I could hear! It takes time, I promise it will get better.

Fine.

At this point I just turn away from her and pretend to be asleep. I'm so done with everything. All I want is to hear. And I know that that will never happen.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

AN: I'm back! Sorry about the long break, a lot happened. I was hospitalized again and I woke up today with an awful cold but I really wanted to get this up for you guys. And I know it's short and I'm sorry about that. Let me know if you'd like a part 2!! Also if you didn't see the promo it's pretty much them realizing a patient is deaf and Maggie saves the day cause she knows ASL. I'm actually currently trying to teach myself ASL but it's going very slowly. I only know the alphabet so far 😂. Anyway have a great day/night! 😘
Oh! And enjoy the premieres tonight!