7. Homework

Hannah

I was exactly in time when I arrived at Zayn's house and I smiled in relief as I had to hurry, but did make it. Quickly pressing on the doorbell, I cringed when I accidentally pressed two times instead of one.

The door opened and Zayn looked at me with a bored expression, "One time is enough." He said immediately, not bothering to greet me.

"Sorry, it was an accident. Good afternoon, by the way." I smiled a little, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

Zayn sighed and threw the keys towards me, "Same route and classroom as yesterday. My car is over there." And the door slammed closed again.

My smile faltered and I frowned in confusion before walking over to his car silently. What was so hard about saying hi to someone? I shrugged it off and drove off towards Zephaniah's school.

As I arrived at Zephaniah's school about twenty minutes later, I parked the car and stepped out. Once glanced at my watch and saw I was in time and breathed out in relief. I didn't want to upset him already on the first day I would spend with him alone.

Trying to remember the way Zayn and I walked towards his classroom yesterday, it didn't take me long to find the right one and I slowly entered it, along with some other mothers and fathers that were picking up their children.

Zephaniah was staring into the distance, his mouth slightly open and his eyes wide. He was playing with the ear of a tiny stuffed dog that he was holding, and I couldn't help but feel my heart warming. No wonder Zayn loved him so much, he was so precious.

Suddenly, a woman came up to me and looked at me with questionable eyes, "Hi, may I help you with anything? I don't think we've met before."

I smiled at the older looking woman in front of me and shook my head, "No, I can imagine. I'm Zephaniah's new caregiver. I had to pick him up from school."

"Oh.. you see, it's a small class as this is a specific school for kids with special needs, so I usually know everyone. That's why I asked." She smiled warmly and laid her hand on my shoulder, "Zephaniah has been good today. Just a little quiet, but when isn't he? I'll see you tomorrow."

The woman walked off again and I slowly approached Zephaniah, not wanting to scare him as he was still staring.

"Hi, Zephaniah." I said softly. He didn't reply, though. He kept playing with his stuffed dog while he stared in the distance, completely lost in his own little world.

The woman, which was apparently his teacher, noticed and crouched down in front of him, softly stroking his cheeks for a while. "Zephaniah, someone is here to pick you up."

Zephaniah blinked a few times and looked up at me, blushing already when the shyness took over him again. "Bye," He whispered to his teacher, who ruffled his hair with a big smile.

I watched Zephaniah as he picked up his animal themed little backpack and tried to put it on his back, but failed as the straps were too tight.

"Here, let me help you." I offered him a smile and he shyly handed me his backpack. I loosened the straps and helped to adjust it on his back.

Once it was settled, he stared down at the floor, "Thank you, Ms... Ms.." He blushed even more when he realised he forgot my name, but it only made me melt even harder.

"It's Hannah. And no problem, Zephaniah. I'm here to help, yeah?" I gave him a warm smile as we walked out of his classroom, towards the exit of the building.

We walked over to my car, or well, Zayn's car, in silence and I helped him to wear his seatbelt after he sat down. I started the car and drove off towards their house.