Fifty nine

Hannah

"Would the boy like this?" Samuel held up a strawberry juice box, following me into the kitchen as I retrieved the plates and cutlery.

I glanced at the juice box and slowly shook my head, "Uhm, no.. it's his Autism. He doesn't like to hold it."

"Oh, okay." Samuel shrugged, smiling. "Do you think he can drink out of a glass? Or should I search for the plastic ones we still have somewhere?"

I bit my lip and looked up at him, suddenly slightly understanding how Zayn must feel, explaining everyone how his son wouldn't like several things. It sounded like Zephaniah would be ungrateful, that he didn't like anything, but that wasn't the case. "I think he'll bring his own water bottle, otherwise he can drink out of a glass."

"Okay," Samuel replied, getting Zephaniah's place ready. I smiled a little as I watched him. For some reasons, he was excited to meet Zephaniah, which I could understand as I knew him, but I never imagined my own brother to be.

He had always liked kids, but it seemed like he wanted to make everything perfect for him, so he would feel comfortable here.

"Is it really that bad? His Autism?" He questioned, narrowing his eyes as he looked at me.

I placed the pan with chicken on the table, along with a bowl of fries. "No, it's not. You'll notice, but it's not as bad. It's more like the way he processes some things. He doesn't understand jokes or facial expressions and he lacks a bit with social skills," I answered.

"How so? Doesn't he talk?" He asked again, sitting down on his designated chair, staring outside the window as he waited for Ruth to come.

"He does. It's not like he doesn't make any contact at all, he's just very shy and nervous around new people." I placed a plate with salad on the table and stared at Cooper, smiling.

"You know, Sam, have you seen the way Cooper was around our cousins? With Uncle Peter's birthday?" I wondered, petting Cooper's head as he had walked over to me by hearing his name.

"Yeah, annoying." He mumbled out, popping a tomato in his mouth.

I chuckled, "True, but, seriously, you should see the way he treats Zephaniah. It's amazing. He'll be a completely different dog,"

Samuel looked up, stuffing a few fries in his mouth. "Really?"

I slapped his hand away when he reached for it again, frowning. "Sam, stop eating. They have yet to arrive. And yeah, really, you're going to be amazed."

"Probably," He smiled, glancing at the clock, my heart jumping as the bell rang.

"Ruth," Samuel smiled, jogging over to the front door. I felt slightly disappointed, wondering when Zayn would come.

I sat down on the couch and fiddled with my fingers. I felt nervous for some reasons. What would dad think of him? Samuel? I didn't really mind Ruth's opinion yet as I still didn't really know her that well, so I wasn't as worried about that.

What would Zayn think of my family? My house? Would Zephaniah be nervous right now? Maybe even crying?

I sighed, nervously nibbling on my bottom lip. It obviously did something to my feelings, I couldn't deny that.

My father sat down beside me on the couch as he came downstairs, staring at me. "You alright?"

"I'm fine, yeah." I gave him a small smile while I played with my fingers, staring at my painted nails. "But dad?" I frowned, looking at him.

"Yeah?" He answered, searching back for my eyes.

"Just don't ask him personal things, okay? He's afraid you're feeling with colours," I couldn't help but let out another laugh as I thought about him.