Thirty one

Zayn

The next morning rolled around quickly and as I had woken up early, I decided to start already. I pulled some sweats up my legs, threw a simple white shirt on and uncapped the buckets of paint, seeing unpainted spots now that some of it had dried.

I turned on the radio, the volume not too loud, not wanting to wake any neighbors and I started to work, dipping my brush into the paint and carefully trying to paint the unpainted spots.

It was about an hour later when I heard a car arrive, the front door opening and closing, confirming that Hannah was here.

"Zayn?" Her sweet voice spoke up, a weird feeling erupting in my stomach at the sound of her pronouncing my name.

"Upstairs!" I said loudly, not really knowing where she was at the moment.

Soft thuds of feet stepping on the stairs was heard soon, and not much later, she was stood in front of me, a small smile on her face. "Hey,"

"Helloo," I said back, giving her a smile.

Hannah's hair was up in a messy bun, a few strands of hair sticking out. Her small nose scrunched up, quietly sniffing. Cute. "You started already?"

"Yeah, sorry. I saw a few non-finished spots and I couldn't help myself," I shrugged, crouching down to uncap a white bucket of paint for the windowsill.

"Aha," She hummed, looking around to notice the few wet spots, "So, what's today's task?"

I licked my lips and pulled my sweatpants up as they had ridden down a bit while crouching, "Uhm," I stood up, "Well, the windowsills and frames around the window and door. We can also paint his door with the chalk paint. I want to wait with the wallpaper for tomorrow, so I'm sure it's dry."

Hannah nodded, crouching down to grab herself the small brush. "Okay, where do I start?"

I liked how Hannah seemed like a sort of go-getter girl. She didn't want to sit around and do nothing. When she said she wanted to help, she really wanted to help. I could appreciate that attitude.

"You can start with window frames, maybe? So if it leaks it doesn't matter as I will paint the windowsill after that." I suggested.

Hannah nodded, her face looking as if she was already making a plan on how to do it, "Sure! Great," She smiled, taking her brush and starting to paint the frames white.

I admired her for a while, watching as her petite fingers held the brush, her hand moving freely but neatly as she painted the frames. Taking my phone out of my pocket, I couldn't help but snap a quick photo, not even sure why I did that.

Suddenly, I didn't feel like waiting anymore to paint the windowsill, it was much more fun to paint together, so I slowly made my way over to her and started to paint beneath her, a small smile appearing on my face, no matter how hard I tried to hide it.

I liked her company.

I couldn't deny that. Don't let her come too close.

Why not?

Biting my lip, my head shot up as I felt something wet fall onto my head. "Hey!" I exclaimed, looking up at her with a frown on my face.

Hannah's eyes widened and she covered her mouth with her hand, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were painting here."

"Wait, let me just.." My eyes followed her small hand as she touched my hair, trying to wipe it away, but she only ended up smearing it all over my black hair, successfully making a few strands white.