Twenty one

Zayn

After we had the picnic at the lake, we all stepped back into the car and drove off to our next destination- the beach. The day had been so far so good. Of course I felt Doniya's glares at times, and of course I noticed my aunt avoiding me as much as possible, but as long as it didn't harm Zephaniah it was whatever.

It was around three in the afternoon when we arrived at the beach and Hannah and I helped my family to put down all the chairs and blankets again.

Zephaniah was sitting in the sand, playing with Cooper and trying to teach him something new which I wasn't quite sure what that was.

I sat down on one of the chairs, watching as Hannah started talking to Waliyha a few chairs away from me. I noticed how her eyes squinted as she looked at Waliyha, the sun shining into them.

I noticed how she constantly had a small smile on her face, it widening when Waliyha said something, the crinkles around her eyes and dimples in her cheeks showing. The sun made some strands of her hair look almost golden, her small hands playing with the bracelets around her wrist.

"She's a lovely girl." My mum spoke up as she sat down beside me, successfully startling me as I felt caught.

I shrugged it off and stared at Zephaniah instead, who was laughing by himself when Cooper did something funny.

"It's not a bad thing, Zayn." She said softly as she grabbed my hand, brushing her thumb over the back of it.

I looked at her and frowned, "What are you talking about?"

"Well, I mean, if you ever start to like her. She's a good girl. I can tell already. The way she's treating Zephaniah and how outgoing she is towards our family." She gave me a smile but I didn't return it.

"I don't like her." I said shortly, pulling my hand back.

My mum sighed softly but didn't say anything else about it. "Are you liking it so far?"

"It's fine." I said.

"Zayn." My mum gave me a look and slightly raised her eyebrows.

"I can feel it, mum. The way they look at me and Zephaniah. Like we're some sort of possessed humans!" I whisper exclaimed as I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to contain my emotions.

My mum sighed sadly and stroked my cheek, "It will get better, I promise. Just focus on the people that did forgive you for it."

"You all act as if I murdered someone," I huffed, crossing my arms over my belly as I slouched back into the uncomfortable camping chair.

"You know the rules, Zayn. And how important they are to our family." My mum said sadly. I knew she was the only one that had really supported me around that time, even when she was disappointed in me. She was and had always been the only person I could really rely on.

"I don't want to talk about this. Can we just talk about something different? It always ends on this topic and I'm tired of it. It's almost been eight years." I sighed deeply and turned my face to my mother, who had a sad expression on her face.

"Yes, Zayn. I'm sorry." She pressed a kiss to my cheek and smiled, "I made chicken and spinach for the barbecue."

I smiled, "Oh, yummy. My favorite." My mouth almost watered just thinking about eating that, and I suddenly couldn't wait until dinner time.

"That's why I made it," My mum grinned and smiled, "Oh, hi Zephy!"

I looked up and saw Zephaniah standing in front of me, his face flushed red from the heat, his small hand on top of Cooper's head. "Hello. Can I swim, d-daddy?"