Forty

Zayn

Where's my phone? My arm moved around my bed, my hand searching for the buzzing device as I tried to open my tired eyes. Where's my phone?!

Eventually, I felt how the buzzing tickled my belly as I laid back down on my stomach, realising I had slept on it. I quickly snatched it away and picked up, not bothering to look who was calling.

"Zayn," I said tiredly, coughing when my morning voice sounded extremely weird.

Good morning, Chellow Heights Special School this is Miranda speaking." My eyes widened and I clumsily sat up instantly, wiping my hair from my forehead.

"Uhm, good morning." I answered, still being in a sleep intoxication.

"Hello, Zayn. Is it right that Zephaniah Malik is not at school today?"

I rubbed my eyes, staying quiet for a while until the memories of yesterday flooded back. I frowned when I noticed I still had my clothes on, but yet covered myself with a fuzzy blanket. Or didn't I do that?

Zephaniah, on the other hand, was probably still asleep. "Uhm, that's right. I'm sorry, pretty hectic morning," I lied. "I forgot to call. He's become sick again so he can't come."

"Oh alright, well.." She started rambling about how to check him in again when he would be present and that I should wish him to get well soon but my mind couldn't really follow any of it at the moment.

I was exhausted.

From all the emotions, feelings, crying and too many hours of restless sleep. Zephaniah had been overstimulated, and it was my fault.

Rubbing my hand over my tired face, I stepped out of bed and decided to trade my clothes for sweatpants and a sweater, not feeling like dressing up properly today.

Once I was dressed and freshen up, I made my way over to Zephaniah's room and opened the door, seeing how he was still fast asleep on his stomach, his favourite position. Ever since he was a baby, he had slept on his belly.

People had told me over a thousand times that it was wrong and dangerous for a baby to sleep on its belly, but no matter how many times I laid him down on his back- he'd always crawl back onto his stomach.

I had let it be, and years later, it was still his favourite position to sleep on, although he didn't do it every night anymore.

A small smile appeared on my face, although I felt sad. I'm sorry, Zeph.

I closed his door again and made my way downstairs, filling the tea kettle with water and placing it on the gas stove. It took a few minutes to whistle and to be done, so soon later I filled my cup with the hot steamy water.

I added a camomile and honey teabag, something I usually only drank when I felt like shit, and dipped it into the water, too lazy to wait a few minutes. Placing it on a small plate so I could use it later again, I walked over to the couch, almost slipping and falling down when my eyes fell on the couch.

Hannah. Fast asleep, her round cheeks pink from sleep, her golden hair messily falling over her face. And, God, did she look beautiful. I couldn't deny that, even if my little toe was screaming for me to do it.

I didn't know what to do for a moment, until I accidentally poured the hot water over my hand as I didn't hold it straight. I hissed, accidentally dropping the cup and Hannah startled awake, sitting up straight.

"Oh, oh, uhm, oh my-" Hannah blinked her warm brown eyes rapidly, quickly standing up from the couch, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean- I didn't mean to-" She struggled over her words.