Forty two

Samuel, Hannah's brother in the photo.

Hannah

I absently stabbed my fork into my vegetables, which consisted out of cooked cauliflower and carrots today. And as my father was back to work for the evening, Samuel still not back from his work, I ate alone, something that happened regularly, almost every evening I wasn't working.

It usually didn't bother me this much, but for some reasons I felt alone. I wasn't hungry at all, and my mind was only on about Zayn.

The way he had opened up to me again, but not fully, made me happy yet it bothered me. I wanted to help him so bad, wanted to make him feel happy, but how? Then the way he had cuddled me on the couch. It felt so natural, so nice, so.. safe.

I hadn't felt that way ever since Noah left, and I couldn't understand how Zayn could do that to me. The father of my 'job', although I didn't see Zephaniah as my job anymore. The man that used to annoy me at times.

Sighing, I stabbed my fork into my meat, taking a small bite while my cheek rested in my hand. My hair was falling in front of my face, but I didn't bother to move it away.

I was tired. I was confused. About my feelings, but also about certain things. Why did Zayn make me feel some type of way? How could I fall asleep on his couch?

I remember closing my eyes for a few seconds because I felt tired, but they somehow never opened until Zayn accidentally woke me up.

It had been a while since I had felt ashamed, but this situation surely made me feel that way. It really wasn't my intention to, and I hoped Zayn was honest when he said he didn't mind.

Because for some reasons, I wanted him to like me, wanted him to-

"Hannah, I'm home!" Samuel yelled, slamming the front door closed as he entered the living room, smiling at me.

"Hi, Sam." I mumbled, standing up to fix him a plate of food. Heating it in the microwave, I placed his plate on the table once it was warm enough for him to eat.

Samuel pinched my cheek and sat down, "Thanks, my favourite sister."

"I'm your only sister." I rolled my eyes and sat back down again, remaining quiet when he prayed for his meal.

Samuel opened his eyes and took a few bites, shrugging, "Right, but you're still my favourite little sister."

"Okay," I chuckled, slowly shaking my head as I played with a strand of hair, twirling it around my finger.

Samuel ate silently for a while, the both of us not saying anything. Until he looked up at me, his bright blue eyes boring into mine, "Hey, uhm, I've got news about the declaration."

I looked at him, not saying anything.

"They didn't accept it. They wanted more evidence. I fought for a testimony, but just because of that reason, they didn't want to let us testify. You, more specifically." Samuel spoke, giving me a sympathetic look. "I'm sorry, Hannah."

I shrugged. "I don't care about it anymore, Sam. When will you understand?" I pleaded, shoving my plate away as I wasn't in the mood for this conversation, although I was thankful for the fact that he tried so hard for me.

"But Hannah, twelve thousand-" He started, but I was quick to cut him off.

"I know, Samuel. I know it's a lot of money, but it happened. We can't do anything about it anymore. Why's it always about money, anyway?" I huffed, the tears appearing in my eyes for reasons I didn't even know myself.