Seventy two

Listen to Common - Zayn, please

Zayn

"Daddy, daddy! They are g-going away!" Zephaniah stood by the window, his eyes wide as he stared at the thousands of birds that flew over, flapping his hands in excitement. "W-wwe have to go, baba, Ms. Hannah!"

I smiled, jogging over to the cabinet and opening a few drawers, snatching a bag of crisps out of it, pointing at a bottle of coke. "Go, Zeph. Grab the blankets," I ruffled his hair, pressing the bottle of coke in Hannah's hands without realising it.

"We have to go outside now." I told Hannah, who looked as if she was lost completely, which I could understand.

"What's happening?" She wondered, though quickly put on her shoes and coat, helping Zephaniah with his zipper after that.

"Follow us," I simply answered, leaving the house and going through the backyard, opening a door that led to a huge field of grass, the sound of flying birds overwhelming me in a positive way.

I took Zephaniah's little hand in mine and motioned at Hannah to follow me as I jogged far into the green and rather high grass, stopping after a minute or so.

Zephaniah clumsily laid down the blankets and once they were straightened by me and Hannah, we sat down on it. Lying down, Zephaniah and Hannah simply copied me, looking up at the sky where a thousands of birds were flying over, looking for a warmer place to survive the cold winter.

The clouds were looking rather dark, threatening to burst out any second to soak the earth beneath her with its rain. Though, none of us minded that, as the birds that flew over were fascinating.

The breeze that hung in the air made us hear the sound of communicating birds clearly, their wings sending waves of sounds within it too.

Glancing at Hannah, I could tell she was fascinated as well, her light brown eyes full of wonder as she stared at the creatures in the air that flew into huge 'v' shapes, all following into the same direction.

Zephaniah's eyes were wide, lips parted as he was in awe. Weirdly enough, when these birds flew over, Zephaniah was extremely intrigued by it and this became our tradition.

Eating crisps while watching the birds leave our country, while we were sitting in the grass with blankets covering us.

"Wow," Hannah breathed out, smiling brightly as she looked at me.

"Right?" I smiled, opening the bag of crisps. "This is our yearly tradition," I whispered as I didn't want to bother Zephaniah.

Hannah smiled again, her eyes full of admiration. "That is so.. beautiful."

Simply smiling at her, my eyes lingered on her beautiful for a face for a while as she went back to staring. Her small nose and rosy colored cheeks were suddenly very visible to me, my heart pounding.

Zephaniah's lips slowly moved as he wanted to say something, not yet knowing how to, until a minute or so later. "W-wwhere they going, baba?"

I stared up, because as I thought they were almost all gone, a new group would come, fascinating us once again. "They're going to a warm country, Zeph. Winters are cold here for them,"

Zephaniah kept staring at the sky, me and Hannah staring at him instead. "Why can w-we not go?" He whispered, his eyes never leaving the birds.

I smiled sadly, observing his face. "If I could, I would take you anywhere in the world, little man." I said quietly, booping his nose with my finger.

Zephaniah suddenly looked at me, giving me a small smile. He cuddled closer to my side and his little hand reached for Hannah's one as he tried to pull her closer to himself as well.