11. A broken night

Zayn
Warning: epilepsy seizure

Zephaniah was laid down on the couch, his small body wrapped in a warm blanket as he had been shivering the whole time. He was absently playing with his fingers as he stared into the distance, his lips parted.

"What's up, Zeph? You're so quiet." I frowned as I stared at my son, poking his stomach, but he didn't squirm away like he usually would.

My son yawned and stared at me, his green eyes glistening because of the tears he got from yawning. "Feel tired, daddy."

"Ms. Hannah told me you had a new teacher. Is she nice?" I asked purposely, knowing that was probably the reason why he was being quiet right now. His little mind had to process a lot, especially big changes like those.

Zephaniah remained silent and stared at his fingers as he played with them still, quickly moving them around and softly pulling them one by one.

I crouched down in front of the couch, my face close to his one as I stared into his eyes, trying to make contact. "Is it because of your new teacher, buddy?"

The little boy looked back at me, blinked a few times before speaking up, "Not only new t-teacher, daddy." He looked down, the tears forming in his eyes.

"What else? What's on your mind? Did Ms. Hannah do something? You can tell daddy." I softly stroked his cheek and noticed a tear rolling out of it. I brushed it off with my thumb and frowned sadly.

Zephaniah opened his mouth to speak but waited for a moment, until he finally did. "No. Is all new people! A-all the time, daddy. I just don't feel good. I feel a little sick."

Pulling the rather limp boy on my lap, I felt how he rested his head down upon my shoulder, instantly, soft crying leaving his mouth. "Do you feel sick because of that?"

"No, daddy. I have a head-headache. Do not know why, okay. Want- want to sleep, baba." Zephaniah hummed as he cried, making my mind debate with many thoughts, trying to figure out what was really going on inside that mind of his.. how could I make him better? I picked him up after a few silent cuddles.

He was a little heavy, as he was almost eight, but I couldn't care less. He didn't feel well and he was tired- I'd do anything for him. "You can go to sleep, but tomorrow we'll talk, yeah? I'm there for you. Always." I said, quietly.

Zephaniah didn't answer, he gave me a kiss on my cheek instead, laying his head down on my shoulder after that. Luckily for me that he was already showered and had already brushed his teeth. I only had to tuck him in and kiss him goodnight.

After I had laid Zephaniah down in bed, I tucked him in, making sure that he wasn't feeling cold anymore. Pressing a kiss to his lips, I watched him as he closed his eyes once his head had hit the pillow.

"Goodnight and don't let the bedbugs.." I waited for his reaction, but it didn't come.

Zephaniah hadn't answered after a brief moment, he was already in the process of falling asleep.

"Bite. I love you." I whispered as I closed his bedroom door behind me.

Walking down the stairs, I let myself fall on the couch and rubbed my face, thinking about everything that had happened the last few days. From firing Heather to employing Hannah, to Zephaniah's new experiences to his close seizure.

I really felt for my little boy. He already had to cope with so much, from his social anxiety to his light stuttering and lack of social skills, his complexed mind running all day long, tiring him out. I knew how hard he found it, but I really didn't know what could possibly help him.