14. Ms. Hannah has a dog

Hannah

Zayn was half asleep on his chair as we waited in the area for Zephaniah, who would soon be done with the scan.

Glancing at Zayn, I hesitated if I had to wake him up or not. He could either be mad because I didn't, or because I did. And I really didn't feel like ruining his mood as he had finally given me a genuine smile for the first time in forever- I'd like to keep it that way.

His head was hanging down a bit, his legs stretched out and his arms crossed over his chest as he slept. Lips pouting and cheeks lightly tinted pink as the hospital was rather warm from the inside. That man must've been exhausted, I felt bad for him

It was a few minutes later when I noticed the doctor standing up and I decided that it was the right time to wake him up. I quietly made my way over to him and awkwardly laid my hand down on his shoulder, not really knowing how else I could wake him.

"Zayn?" I softly shook him awake, "I think Zephaniah is done." Waiting for a moment, I noticed he started to wake up as he sighed sleepily and stretched out his arms, eyes fluttering open.

Zayn rubbed his face with the back of his hands and looked up at me with a slight frown on his face. I sat up straight, knowing his harsh words were about to be thrown at me, but a confused smile appeared on his face instead.

"I cannot believe I fell asleep on these chairs. I must've been really tired," He mumbled, a small chuckle leaving his mouth after that as he glanced at me.

I smiled almost automatically, being more than surprised about his reaction. "Yeah, I agree. They're not really what you call comfortable." I said as I looked at the hard, plastic chairs.

Zayn gave me a small smile in response and it widened when Zephaniah came out of the room where they had taken the MRI scan.

"Zephaniah, do you want to pick out a toy?" The doctor asked him, "You've been very brave for the whole time!" He praised the little boy, who just blushed deeply in response.

Zayn looked down at Zephaniah, nudging Zephaniah's cheek with his finger, "Words, Zeph. You can use them."

"O-okay, please," He stammered out, his face flushing red as he looked up at the doctor, who was already looking down at him.

"Then follow me!" The doctor exclaimed excitedly and as we followed him to the small room we were sitting in before, Zephaniah turned his face to Zayn.

"Baba?" He frowned when Zayn looked at him, clearly visible that thoughts were clouding his mind. "Is not bad that.. that I tell him I w-wwant a toy?"

I could see how Zayn's face softened when he asked that, swelling my heart. "No, it's not bad, Zephaniah. He asked you, so you can answer him. It's good to answer someone when they ask you something."

Zephaniah was quiet for a long time, his eyes staring at the floor as he was thinking and processing everything Zayn had said. "So he won't b-be mad?"

"No, he won't be. He'll only be happy that you answered truthfully." Zayn ruffled Zephaniah's hair as we entered the room, the two boys taking a seat.

I took a seat beside Zayn and we watched his son as the doctor led him to a box full of presents. Zephaniah shyly stared at all the presents, his hands behind his back and blushes on his cheeks.

"He's so innocent," I said as we watched him trying to process everything that was laid out in front of him to pick.

Zayn sighed a little, "Yeah, a little too much sometimes. It's not a bad thing for me, I mean, I love the way he is. So pure, too good for the world. It just doesn't always work for his benefit." He frowned, his hazel eyes roaming around the room as he was in thoughts.