Not Her, But Me (Tyrus)

Cyrus' POV
Andi, Buffy, Jonah, and I were all meeting up at the Spoon. Today was a very special occasion. Jonah was going to be dubbed an official member of the Good Hair Crew.

Andi grabs one of the baby taters from our tray and slowly places it in Jonah's cupped hands. "Do you, Jonah Beck, solemnly swear to honor your promise as a member of the GHC? To keep promises, and let us help you in troubling times?"

Jonah has a look of confusion, and he responds hesitantly, "Yes."

"Then by the power vested in us by the Shadyside Spoon cafe, we dub you an official member of the Good Hair Crew. You may now eat the sacred tater." Jonah takes a bite of the food, and we notice a couple of customers sitting near us clapping in support.

"Great," Andi says. "Now that that's out of the way, let's move on to the next order of business. Buffy, you said you had some big news?"

Buffy clears her throat. "Indeed. I am proud to announce that TJ and I have officially made up. There is no more battle between us."

Andi says, intrigued, "Please continue. How'd this happen? I want every detail."

"To start off, Cyrus and TJ planned something behind my back to make me 1v1 TJ in basketball. I, of course, won. Afterwards, we walked out of the gym, where I announced to them my plans for a girls basketball team. His final apology was in the form of a rap, and I forgave him after because... I don't know, he just had sincerity in his voice for once. When he left, he turned back at us for a few seconds, then continued to wherever he was going."

Jonah perked his head up a bit. "Did you say TJ turned around as he walked away?"

"Yeah. Why? Is it a big deal?"

"I'm not sure," Jonah says. "But I remember Amber once told me something about looking back. She said that if you turn around to look at someone, it means you like them. As in, like like them."

Buffy shakes her head. "That's dumb. A lookback doesn't mean you like someone. Back me up, guys."

Andi and I look at each other, and we both have the same thought. I say, "Jonah might have a point. There was one time Andi looked back at Jonah when she still had a crush on him. And there was also a time when I looked back at..." I stop myself, realizing that Jonah doesn't know about the crush. "I looked back at someone as well when I liked them."

Buffy shows clear signs of denial. "You guys can't be serious. TJ and I were mortal enemies just last week. You can't expect him to have a crush on me!"

I try my best to comfort Buffy. "It's fine, it's fine. I'll go talk to TJ and see what he says. Maybe he was looking back at some other girl we didn't notice."

———

I make my way down to the park and find TJ by the swings. He's not swinging around, he's just sitting there. "Hey, TJ," I ask in a concerned tone, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just bored, so I came down here to pass the time."

"Can I ask you something a bit personal?"

He begins to look a little nervous. "If you want to, Underdog."

I decide to rip the bandage off. "Do you have a crush on Buffy?"

Immediately, he starts to cackle. "What? Hold on, what? You think I have a crush on her? She and I were mortal enemies just last week!"

"That's what she said too. Sorry, it just came to my attention that last time we saw you, you turned around looked back at us. To us, it means that you like someone, so I thought you had a crush on Buffy."

Now, TJ was getting incredibly anxious. "Uhh, no. I don't think that meant anything when I looked back at you guys."

"Okay, that's all I really wanted to ask. I have to meet Buffy and Andi somewhere. I'll see you later."

I walk away a bit after he says that, following the trail out of the park. Then I feel something, as if it were controlling me, make me turn around to look at TJ. That's when I realized I had feelings for him. The only other time that same feeling took over was when I looked back at Jonah. That wasn't all, however, because I notice that TJ is looking at me too.

We just stare at each other for a few seconds. Both of us understand what's happening right now. I don't know, maybe it's a connection we're currently sharing. All we really did after was share a smile before continuing forward.

———————

This is actually my first CJ fanfic, believe it or not. There are definitely going to be more. After all, mystery blonde boy has yet to make an appearance in one of these oneshots. I think until his name is confirmed, I'm going to name him... Tyson.