Support From A New Face (Jyrus Month Special)

Cyrus's POV
I sit on my porch, sobbing into my shirt. This last incident wasn't all that bad, but I don't even know why I'm crying. After all, he didn't hurt me. All he said was "no."

I guess I was crying pretty loudly, because it caught the attention of a boy who was riding on his bike. I didn't notice him until he actually said, "Hey, man. You okay?" I look up and I shake my head. He sits next to me, ready to talk. "Maybe it'll help if we talk about it."

"I-I don't even know who you are," I say.

"Sometimes it helps to talk to a stranger. They don't know you as well, so they can't hurt you as much."

It was twisted logic, but I guess it made sense. Then again, maybe I'm just too depressed to think clearly. "Uhh, I like boys."

The other guy smiled. "Cool. So do I."

"Not like friends. I mean, I like boys."

He responded once again, "Cool, so do I."

Maybe he wasn't getting it? "As in, I get crushes on them."

He looks me straight in the eye, and says slowly, "Cool. So. Do. I."

That's when I realize that I was the one who didn't get it. He was just like me. He understood what I was going through, and this made me feel a bit more confident. "Anyways, I asked him out, and because he's straight, he said no."

"Was he being rude to you about it?"

"He wasn't, and that confused me so much more than when I realized I liked him. He supported me, we're still friends, and he's completely fine with me. But I still got super depressed after this, and then I started crying on the porch."

"I don't know how to help you. I've never had the courage to ask out my guy crushes. Only my girl ones."

"How'd those go?"

He shrugged. "Only one said yes before. We dated for a few months, and then she moved away, so we thought it was best to break up."

"You still talk to her?"

"Yeah. She has a new boyfriend now, and I haven't found anyone new yet." His face shows realization that he was rambling a bit. "Anyways, back to you. You're not getting overdramatic about this rejection. It's perfectly fine if you're sad about him saying no."

"You're absolutely sure about that?"

"I am. Even someone with rock-bottom expectations will hold on to the hope of their crush saying yes." He checked his watch. "I have to go. Can I see your phone?" I give it to him, and he types in his number. "Here. We can continue talking later if you want."

"Yeah, sure," I say to him. While he leaves, I decide to finally go inside. I think about that guy I just talked to, and I realize that I never got his name. So I decide to put his contact info as, "Support ☺️."

I never noticed the emoji I put there until about a day later, when I texted him again. That got me thinking about how I feel about him. Who knows, maybe a good conversation will lead to something more.

———————

Today's theme was "Favorite AU." I'm a sucker for deep conversations, so that's what I went with. This officially marks the end of Jyrus month. For a bit, I'm taking a break from Jyrus, and I'm gonna try out other ships like Anker and CJ. Yes, these are my personal preferences for the ship names.