Double Life (Jyrus Month Special)

Today's theme was "Superhero," So I decided to make a sequel to another superhero story I posted a while back. If you haven't read the previous part, "Alter Ego," here's a quick run down of the plot. Jonah is a superhero named Condor with powers of flight and super strength. Cyrus is a villain named Cynical Badguy with telekinetic abilities. Both of them are dating each other, but neither know the other's secrets. To make it stranger, their super personas are nemeses. Cyrus stole a necklace from a jewelry, but was thwarted by Jonah, who injured Cyrus. The next day, Cyrus is in the hospital, and because he still has the necklace, Jonah finds out Cyrus' secret. This next part is the continuation.

———————

Jonah's POV
I feel so stupid right now! Of course Cyrus is Cynical Badguy. He's literally the only one I know who could make a bad nickname. At the same time, I'm conflicted on what to do. He's my boyfriend, yet he's my worst enemy. I could tell Andi and Buffy, but then I'd have to explain how I know, and I doubt they'd believe me anyways.

I need to know where he's going to be after he gets out. I buy a single rose on my way to Cyrus' house, and grab one of my trackers that I have for plot convenience (Oops, there goes the fourth wall again). I knock on Cyrus' door before entering. "Hey, Cy. I got you something that I hope will help."

Cyrus takes the flower that I held out for him. "This is so nice! Thank you, Jonah," he says. It's hard to believe that he could be the same villain I've been battling for months now. Maybe he's not, maybe he's just has a lookalike necklace.

I hear Cyrus' phone ring. "Sorry, I got to take this. Wait right here."

"Got it." I wait for Cyrus to leave the room. "Like I'm going to stay here." I sneak behind Cyrus and listen in to his phone call."

"...yes, I still have the necklace. The sell will go as we planned. As long as you bring me the money, the artifact is yours. Great, see you then."

As my mom used to say, if you have to do something, no better time like the present. I force myself out in the open, and when Cyrus turns around, a look of fear sweeps over his face. "Jonah. I thought I told you to wait in the other room."

"So you can plan to sell a stolen necklace behind my back? I wanted to here to see that."

He's clenching his fists now. "My work doesn't involve anyone getting hurt. I'm a thief, not a murderer... yet."

"I'm your boyfriend, Cyrus. I think I would know when you're using an empty threat."

"I don't want to hurt you, Jonah."

"Me neither."

"What are you going to do to me?"

I push myself off the ground and fly towards Cyrus, knocking him through the wall and into his backyard. He gets up, a bit shaken, and says, "Of course. Out of all the people in this town, you're Condor."

"I thought the same thing when I found out you were Cynical." I attempt at another fly attack, but that goes south when he pushes me away with a telekinetic blast.

"Almost all of the money I make from this goes to our group. Remember all those trips we went on? The water park? Hawaii? Minskyland? Those were from this job."

"What was that necklace going to pay for?"

"That was for you and me. Remember how you wanted to go to Moonlight Paradise over the summer? We can do that, if you let me sell this."

"I really badly want to go, but you already know I'm not willing to do it like this." I maintain all of my energy once again to grab Cyrus and hold him down. "I love you, but you're still a criminal."

———————

I think I managed to cover every single plot point in a cliche superhero story. The hero fights the villain, who they always have some special connection to. The villain is defeated because the hero managed to get a burst of adrenaline. I'm missing something. Right, the after-credits scene!

———————

Cyrus walks down to the phone room, and a bit of his depression escapes when he saw Jonah, whom he still admits to having feelings for. He grabs the phone and puts it up to his ear. "What do you want?"

"I just wanted to see how you were holding up. You know I still care about you."

"Same for you. I really wish things didn't go down like this. We could've been a thieving couple."

"That's why we can't be together. We just have... different interests. It wasn't going to work out. Andi and Buffy are here too. I'll let you talk to them for a bit." Before Jonah steps away, he quickly looks back at Cyrus, and exits the room.

Andi and Buffy sit down and put the phone by their ears. Andi says, "Hey, buddy. You okay?"

"I'm in prison," Cyrus exclaims. "It's just peachy."

Buffy replies, "To make you feel better, we'll come every week to talk, okay?"

Cyrus nods. "By the way, can you send a message to Jonah?"

"Sure! What kind of message?"

"Send him an mental attack. Something he's sure to remember."

An evil grin appears on the girls' faces. Andi says, "We'll see what we can do."