o n e

❝when he's on the court, it feels like neither side can breathe properly without his permission. he rules above all in the court. ❞

●  

"what do you mean you're swapping me out for him!?"

"akihiko, we're swapping you out. its the coaches decision."

"you all know how he is! you know he'll hurt the other players! just because we're behind doesnt mean we have to use him!"

"akihiko. he's never lost."

"b-but...!"

"akihiko. that's it. end of this conversation. complain later to the coach."

  ●  

score after score he scored. the other team completely defenceless against his power. volleyball might not be a single player sport but it was clear to say he was the only one who did anything on his team.

no one moved without his permission. he would tell them exactly what to do. they only spiked when he said so, only blocked when he said so, only received when he said so. anything he didn't approve of was a crime. maybe the team hated being treated that way, but they loved the thrill of winning. so they listened to his words, his rules. without him, who would they be? just a bunch of nobodies.

"you dare attempt to win against a team i lead? how foolish."

the same line after every win.

  ● 

"--e were thinking you should be kinder during the matches to the players, y'know they get hurt from your orders."

"that's their fault."

"o-of course... what did we think trying to talk to you in a straightforward manner?"

"fools."

"hey, the conversation isn't over yet. the coach said he'll take you off the team if you don't do what he says."

"he can do that. you'll come back running to me and realise i'll be far out of your reach any ways."

"y-you..!"

  ●  

after that they took him off the team.

he then left the school and joined a powerhouse.

he graduated from that powerhouse junior high school.

throughout his years in volleyball, he'd never lost. never planned to either, because if he had lost, he'd of been a damned fool.

after graduating from junior high, he spent a year in America, and then a little while in Russia.

it wasn't a lie to say he'd met very interesting people. a bunch of basketball prodigies in Japan, swimmers who craved the water, also in Japan, skaters who fell in love on the ice once again in Japan. even if he had spent a year and a little away from Japan, during his visits back he met interesting people. 

people who kept him going.

when the people of his sport couldn't, the strangers kept him alive.

and the best way for him to repay them was for him to show them a new him.

  ● 

"n/n-chan! we heard you've found a group you'll stick with, how interesting!" the Russian skater semi-yelled through the phone.

"yeah... viktor, don't you have better things such as sleeping to do?" he replied, somewhat bored.

"viktor!" m/n heard yuuri yell at viktor in the background.

"ahaha...ha..." viktor dryly laughed before ending the call.

"what a mess." m/n sighed to himself.

● 

"m/n-cchi!" the blonde basketball player enthusiastically said.

"hey kise." m/n waved at the boy through the phone, watching kise smile brightly.

"the others said that i should say hello to you for them!" he laughed.

"well kise, tell them i said thanks, but don't you have a game tomorrow?" m/n gave him a stare through the phone.

"bye m/n-cchi! come visit me soon~" kise winked before ending the call.

  ●  

"hel-" m/n was cut off by a yell.

"M/N-CHAAAANNNN~" burst out a yellow haired boy.

"nagisa, it's not polite to cut people off." m/n scolded him.

"sorry m/n-chan! i got excited!" nagisa yelled.

"yeah... i heard youve gone nationals, well done." m/n congratulated.

"y-yEAH!"and suddenly the call was ended. m/n sighed to himself before turning onto the other side of his bed.

maybe three calls from incredibly energetic people was too much for someone like him. somehow he didn't completely mind it, he even found it making him feel more lively. but maybe that wasn't too good for him right before he'd fall asleep.

he closed his eyes, remembering the thrill of watching karasunos matches. they had lost to aoba johsai but every moment of the match gave him chills. he was going to lead them to victory like he had with every other team. he knew he could.

because they sparked the dim light in him that was slowly fading. his love for volleyball, the way time slowed down on the court. everything came back to him as he watched them play. it was going to be his first day at karasuno high tomorrow. so it was no wonder he couldn't sleep. he smiled to himself before forcing himself to empty his thoughts and relax, falling into a deep sleep.