t h r e e

❝when he's on the court, it feels like neither side can breathe properly without his permission. he rules above all in the court. ❞

as m/n rushed up the stairs to his class, he heard the bell ring. he sighed before thinking of an excuse, it being 'he was a new student', it definitely wasn't a lie.

he knocked on the door of his classroom, his teacher giving him a glare.

"im the transfer student." he said, lacking emotion. he walked into the class, standing at the front with the teacher.

"oh! right. there was one today. hello, please introduce yourself to the class." the teacher motioned for him to face the other students.

"my names m/n l/n. i'm only in this school for the volleyball club, so don't try to become best friends with me." m/n glared at the people he would call classmates, watching their eyes full of interest dimming as his cold words got to them.

"u-uh, well.. l/n you can sit back there where the empty seat is." the teacher pointed at a chair at the back of the room next to a window.

m/n nodded, walking to the seat, pulling it out and sitting down. he didn't pay attention during the lesson. it was mostly things he knew.

with the blink of an eye, the school day was over. m/n turned his head from staring out the window, watching all the students leave the room. he waited until every single person left before he got up, grabbing his bag and also leaving.

he knew where the boys volleyball club had practice. the second gymnasium. he sighed as he slung his bag over his shoulder, jogging down the stairs to find the gym he had to be at.

after a couple of minutes of walking around the school, m/n found his destination. inside, he could see all the players who made his stone cold, uninterested heart finally feel the thrill of the court. the thrill he had once lost.

he took a breather as he felt his heart pacing, a smile making its way onto his face. he opened the doors of the gym. people inside turning around to look at who had just entered.

"ah, you actually came?" daichi asked in a sarcastic voice.

"of course, senpai. i did say i was going to come." m/n replied in the same tone.

as everyone else felt the rivalry between the two, sugawara clapped his hands together, "alright, alright. l/n-san, daichi. behave."

"of course, senpai." m/n fakely smiled, venom pouring out his words.

maybe m/n was being a total prick right now, but mentally he was hitting his head against multiple walls and tables in frustration. he didn't want to get kicked out, definitely not.

"u-uH who is that daichi-senpai?" hinata asked from behind kageyama and yamaguchi.

"he looks familiar..." m/n heard someone whisper, unsure of who it was.

"well of course i should introduce myself, right daichi-senpai?" m/n sweetly asked, turning to ukai, "you wouldn't mind if i disturb the practice a little more, would you?"

ukai, who had seemed to realise who m/n was, seemed to be speechless, nodding incredibly fast as m/n asked for permission.

as kiyoko pushed ukai's chin back up to its normal state, he seemed to regain his composure.

"boys! group up. practice is on a pause for a bit." ukai yelled, the boys jogging over to the coach.

m/n walked over to the coach as everyone else jogged over, standing beside the coach and in front of the karasuno boys volleyball club.

"hello my nam-" m/n was cut off by his phone ringing.

"i swear to fucking christ if its kise again im going to choke this man." he muttered aggressively, not realising the team had heard what he said, picking up the phone.

"IM BUSY IF ITS REALLY IMPORTANT CALL ME BACK IN LIKE 2 HOURS!" m/n yelled into the phone, ending the call and turning back to the group.

"my apologies about that, i have quite stupid animals for friends. back to that, hello! my names m/n l/n. i believe people in volleyball use to call me the true dictator of the court, the supreme, or the doctor of the court." m/n chuckled in a princely manner.

cue the gasps and 'oOHs'.

"and your captains decided i can join the team! isn't this just exciting?" m/ns words coated with an obvious coldness. maybe he did love the way this team made him feel while they played, but he'd have to learn how easily controlled they'd be.

"hEy! arent you worse than kageyama over here with people?" nishinoya yelled, hitting kageyama on the back as he spoke.

"this again? like i told your captain and vice captain earlier, i think you haven't seen my matches in america. if you'd allow me to show you my charms, i'd gladly do so." m/n winked at the boys before chuckling, "but if you would really like to see how i play, i can gladly show you. maybe a 3v3? if you don't mind of course."

"go ahead. i'd like to see how you play." ukai spoke up.

"is it fine if i chose my team members? there are certain people i really want to play with." m/n smirked, the last part of his sentence sounding incredibly seductive.

"kageyama, hinata, daichi. you're a team. l/n, you can choose from the remaining players." ukai blurted, almost like he was trying to surprise m/n.

m/n laughed to himself as he realised what ukai was trying to do. m/n had taken the three people who were incredibly good at what they did. it was almost as if ukai was assessing m/n, just the same way he was assessing them.

"nishinoya-san... and asahi-senpai, if you wouldn't mind." m/n asked politely. asahi nodded his head before walking over to the side of the court m/n's team was going to be on. m/n watched as nishinoya followed asahi.

m/n speedily touched around his elbows and knees, seeing if his pads were on, sighing in a relief as they were.

"please, go ahead and warm up if you have to. i'll quickly change my shirt." m/n offered, putting his bag down onto a bench and taking out the spare black shirt he had in his bag. he quickly slid off his shirt, grabbing the new one and sliding it on.

as he turned around to see the five other boys doing leg stretches, he decided to join in.

"i think that'll be good enough, l/n, are you ready?" ukai clapped his hands together, m/n nodding at him before running to his team.

he pulled nishinoya and asahi's shirts slightly, bringing them closer to him.

"i'll play setter seeing as you both cant, please trust me. i'm not as bad as you think." m/n laughed dryly towards the end. nishinoya and asahi gave each other a stare before nodding, making m/n smile.

as kiyoko blew the whistle, m/n and the others got into place. m/n had decided to let the other team serve first.

'thank you. for lighting a spark in my cold heart. for bringing me the joy i had once lost."'m/n thought to himself as the ball flew from the other side of the court towards them.