e l e v e n

❝when he's on the court, it feels like neither side can breathe properly without his permission. he rules above all in the court. ❞

'ding!'

m/n reached into his pocket to see what the notification on his phone was from.

'U-19 JAPAN TEAM PRACTICE- 16:20-19:50, ALL MUST ATTEND.'

he froze for a moment. had ushijima told the coaches he was back in japan? or maybe they had seen him at shiratorizawa... though, putting how they found out he was back in japan aside, m/n didn't want to go to the team practice, but he knew he had to. he knew he had to return to his position as the one and only dictator people had no problem with. 

"class dismissed, please travel home safely. l/n, please stay behind." the teacher announced, m/n cursing under his breath. this would delay his travel to the team practice. they never liked it when someone was late.

m/n stayed seated, though slung his bag over his shoulder, as the other students exited the room, leaving it to be m/n and his teacher.

"l/n, i've realised that you're far ahead of the class in terms of the education systems topics for teaching, and there's not a higher class than this one. i'm sure you wouldn't mind if i gave you separate text books to study on your own in class that are further ahead in the syst-" m/n cut the teacher off.

"sounds good and all teach, but i've got an under 19s practice to head to, can you speak to me about this tomorrow or something? also that's a rhetorical question, sorry and bye!" m/n ran out the class and the corridor to the stairs, jogging down and quickly walking out of the school grounds. he wondered what to do. unfortunately, he always carried his uniform for the u-19 with him, so he couldn't just call in and say he would be late for that and just not go. in full honesty, m/n knew he had to attend this practice. he knew if he didn't, things wouldn't go too well for him. 

he looked back into the school grounds from outside the gates, seeing bright orange and dark blue haired people walking. m/n knew exactly who they were and was immediately reminded of the after school practice he was missing. 

'i'll just text daic- hell no i wont.' m/n stopped himself, remembering how he had just been an asshole to him earlier. so he decided he'd screenshot the u-19 notification and send it to hinata, telling him to show it to only daichi.

m/n
15:23, sent

[image attached]
hey hinata, can you show this to only
daichi for me? thanks.

hinata
15:24, read

U-19?!?!?! SENPAI?!?!?!?!
P.S I SHOWED IT TO DAICHI!! :D
HE GOT REALLY SURPRISED LIKE ME!!!!

m/n
15:24, sent

thanks sunshine ;)

  ●  

"wow! look coach wasn't lying when he said our sweet l/n was back." a familiar face chuckled. messy brown hair, brown eyes and peach coloured lips. it was the team's setter. though, m/n never bothered learning their names and he wouldn't start caring now either.

"shut up, number 6." that was the number the setter wore. m/n wore number 13.

the boy simply chuckled once again without replying, but instead pointed to the doors that lead to the court, meaning the coach was in there. m/n rolled his eyes and walked over to the doors, pushing them hard enough that it'd bang against the wall.

"coach, why are you wasting my time with this team practice?" m/n called out to the man.

"wasting your time? i bet in the states you lost all your skill. the boys are probably all better than you by now." the coach was obviously trying to irk m/n, but it wasn't working.

"better than me? these lousy lot? they don't even know what teamwork is, how can you even start to compare me to them?" m/n laughed, some of the boys flinching, "sometimes, i don't even know how they're in the under 19 team." m/n smirked, trying to anger his 'teammates'.

"l/n, l/n, l/n, you're the last person who can talk about teammwork. also your teammates are very capable of playing volleyball, and you know that. they're all excellent players who play far better than any school team you'd find, even against those powerhouses." the coach rambled.

"give me a 3v3. i'll win 2 sets with less than 5 scored by the other team in both sets combined." m/n challenged. 

"sure, go ahead, true dictator of the court, i'll be watching very closely." the coach laughed lowly.

"be quiet. where's ushijima?" m/n questioned.

"not here, dumbass." number 18 included himself into the conversation. he had somewhat wavy black locks and dark brown eyes with freckles splattered over his cheeks, he was cute in appearance but had an awful personality. if m/n remembered correctly, he specialised in everything besides setting. he was a ideal all-rounder, chiselled into perfection.

"he's unable to attend, unfortunate, but we can't do much about it." the coach explained.

"number 6, number 18, you're with me for this match." m/n ordered. the two sighed and walked over to his side of the court. 

  ●  

'deep breaths, m/n.' 

the ear-piercing silence took over. everything off the court foggy to his eyes. m/n felt calm, as if he could hear his heart beating and his blood pumping. he could feel his teammates movements, they were moving on his orders, like always. and in front of him, his opponents, a heavy pressure settling onto them, breathing and moving becoming hard. nothing had changed. m/n was as ruthless on court as always. once a dictator, forever a dictator.

  ●  

set 1 scores - 25 to 1.

set 2 scores - 25 to 2.

m/n could see the coach frustrated.

he looked at the clock above the door, 17:39. he had ended up staying for far too long in his opinion.

"i'm leaving. nothings changed, i'm still the best." m/n laughed as he grabbed his bag and opened the door.

"indeed, it seems nothing has changed with you, l/n." the coach was still trying to irritate him.

m/n turned around to face the coach, still holding the door open with his foot, "you don't know anything, coach. you'll see in the upcoming tournaments, you'll see. i have changed, and i'm far further ahead in volleyball compared to your little goons in this u-19 group. the only person who deserves credit here is ushijima and some others, but i don't know their names." m/n slammed the door shut behind him.

"that felt good." m/n stretched his arms into the air as he walked to the train station to return home and plan his apology for the next day to the karasuno boys he had been a prick to.