f o u r t e e n

❝when he's on the court, it feels like neither side can breathe properly without his permission. he rules above all in the court. ❞

"bow!" 

"let's play!"

warm ups had started and both teams were practising spikes and receives. 

"we're gonna start soon, so get changed!" daichi yelled, the karasuno boys all coming together.

as the boys begun to take off their shirts, m/n watched as yachi's mouth fell wide while she stared at hinata, blowing a fuse.

as m/n thought about it, he came to the conclusion that he was not given a karasuno shirt and now had to ask for one. walking up to kiyoko, "hey, just sorta realised i need a shirt." he chuckled.

"i'll go get the box." she replied, as tame as always.

"i'll come with ya, easier that way." 

as kiyoko and m/n walked towards the storage room, they passed by members of the other team, m/n feeling the eyes of many of them.

"coach! isn't that... ykno who...?!?" m/n heard one of the members exclaim to their coach.

as they reached the room, kiyoko squatted down and went through the box with the uniform in it. her rummaging came to an end as she pulled out a shirt with the number 13 on it, "this number... suits you."  she said as she handed over the shirt, walking back to the the karasuno boys.

'suits me, huh?' m/n smirked as he followed her back, slipping his shirt off while walking and wearing the numbered shirt.

a whistle blew, "gather round!" and the boys gathered around coach ukai.

"this is our first match with another team since the inter-high prelims. you haven't forgotten your frustrations from then, have you?"

"right!" m/n stayed quiet. he had nothing to do with their loss from before, and his arrogant pride would not let him connect a loss with himself.

"all right, go out there and raise some hell!!

"right!" this time, m/n joined in.

the group huddled together, "karasuno, fight!"

"yeah!" the whole team yelled after daichi.

this was team spirit. something m/n had never felt before. he felt connected to the people beside him, this was a first. however, that was not the only first. this was also the first time he was not in the start line up, which once again, this arrogant pride burned him from the inside.

"coach..." m/n stood with coach ukai, keeping his eyes on the court.

"l/n?" coach ukai questioned.

"before i signed up to join karasuno, i thought about how i could fit into this already fixed team. my heart told me to sit out and guide them from the sides and my head told to me to replace one of them, forcefully. i've been listening to my heart this whole time... because for the first time in a while, i've been happy while playing volleyball, but... as i watch the game now... my head hurts. my pride is being shattered as i sit out and simply watch. my sinful pride is burning me, and i slowly want to listen to my head a lot more. i don't know... what to do..." m/n tone never changed as he spoke. on the inside, he may of been close to breaking down but on the outside, he sounded as strong as he could, while still saying such weak things.