Truce

It rained nearly the entire month of October. Serena was hoping to take the team out for a swim in the Black Lake, but decided it would be too dangerous. Flint had backed off her, since their first match was one week away. She was working them more than ever and she had to admit that she was even a little sore.

"Alright everyone, good practice today," she said as she landed on the ground. The rain was letting up and everyone was starving and ready to head back to the castle for dinner. "We'll pick this back up on Monday. Don't forget to bring your trainers!"

The team left and Serena stayed behind to pack up the equipment like she usually does. Her hair was dripping with water and she was freezing. She planned to head back up to the common room, put on some sweatpants and a jumper and curl up by the fire with a good book. Yes, that sounded like an excellent way to spend her evening. She was so excited with her plans that she didn't notice Oliver Wood approach her.

"Have you been spying on me?" she asked as he walked up beside her.

"Not likely," he said. "I'm not a cheat. We leave that for the Slytherins."

"Excuse me but I just so happened to catch your twin terrors spying on us last week," she shot back.

"It's not like they could see anything with those brooms flying so fast," he said. Serena thought it was odd that he was acting so calm. She thought for sure that he came here to fight with her.

"Jealous?" she asked.

"Not at all," he said. "We've got our strategies."

"It's not like they'll help," she said as she struggled with a Bludger to put it back in the case.

"Cockiness isn't a pretty color on you," he said with a smile.

"I'm not cocky – I'm – whoa!" she yelled as she caught the second Bludger as it fell from the sky. "I'm not cocky, I'm confident," she breathed as she locked it in.

"Listen, I didn't come to fight," he said as he put the Quaffle in the case for her.

"Yeah, why did you come?" she asked.

"I was wondering if we could call a truce," he said. "I think if we both focus on our teams and not hating each other, it could help both of our chances."

"I'm not worried about you," she denied. "My team is great."

"Your team? Or Flint's team?"

Serena had something to say back to him but she honestly didn't feel like fighting with him. He was right; it did take a lot of time and energy out of you.

"This doesn't mean we're friends," said Serena as she snapped the trunk shut. "It just means that I'll go about ignoring you."

Oliver smiled.

"Why can't we be friends?" he asked.

"You're really going to ask that?"

"It seems like a fair question."

"You're a Gryffindor...I'm a Slytherin," she said. "Those two things don't mix well."

"Just because people say that, doesn't mean it's true," he said as he lifted up the trunk. She was going to say that she could do it herself, but she was really tired. They both headed up back towards the castle.

"So, you came all the way out here – in the rain – to ask me if we could be friends?" she asked.

"No, I came all the way out here in the rain to ask for a truce," he said. "Asking to be your friend just seemed to flow in nicely with the conversation."