Injured

Serena looked down at her body from the side of her bed. Her three best friends were crying over her and she hated seeing them like this. She desperately wanted to tell them that everything was going to be fine, that she was right here. But, she couldn’t. She stood there wondering if she was a ghost. Was she dead? She could hear and see everything that was happening, but no one could see her.

“She’s going to be all right, isn’t she?” asked Maggie nervously as she clutched Serena’s hand.

“She’s in a coma,” said Madam Pomfrey. “Usually in comas, it’s up to them whether or not they want to come back. They have to decide.”

I have to decide, thought Serena. How the bloody hell am I supposed to do that? Of course I decide to live!

“How long will she be in a coma?” asked Jade.

“People can be in comas for years,” said Madam Pomfrey. “But, hopefully that isn’t the case.”

“Can’t you do something?” asked Olivia. “Give her a potion, cast a spell, do something to wake her up!”

“I’m afraid I can’t mess with an injury this serious, Miss Hawthorne,” said Madam Pomfrey. “Now, if you and Miss Curtis and Miss Acker can’t keep your voices down then I’m going to have to ask you three to leave.”

Serena watched Madam Pomfrey walk away.

“I’m right here, guys!” she said. No one had heard her.

“I’m going to kill Wood,” said Olivia. “If it weren’t for him, Serena wouldn’t be here right now.”

“And people wonder why Gryffindors and Slytherins don’t get along,” scoffed Jade. “You can’t trust them.”

“It’s not all Wood’s fault,” said Maggie. Serena, Jade and Olivia looked at her like she was crazy.

“It’s Flint’s fault for telling her right before the match!” exclaimed Maggie. “And you know why he did it? Because he wanted her to be unfocused. He wanted to, not necessarily hurt her, but he wanted her to mess up so he could take her spot as Captain.”

She did have a point, thought Serena. Flint was furious when she called off the deal. It was only a matter of time before he came up with some kind of scheme to steal her position.

“But, Wood really did use her,” said Jade. “Regardless of what Marcus did, Oliver is still the one at blame here.”

“I know,” said Maggie. “I just don’t want to go throwing all of the blame on him.”

Serena sat down next to her friends, wishing desperately that she could talk to them. She was a little hard on Wood, especially in front of her team. She should have talked to him in private. There was nothing she could do about it now.

She watched her friends grieve over her until they finally left and went back to the common room. Professor Snape, Professor McGonagall and Professor Dumbledore were the next visitors.

“Oh, Headmaster,” said Madam Pomfrey running over to him. “I’m doing everything I can do. There isn’t much you can do with injuries such as these.”

Dumbledore held up his hand to stop her. “It’s quite all right, Poppy,” he began. “We have contacted Miss Carrow’s parents and they will be along as soon as they can.”

Serena scoffed. She was sure that her parents wouldn’t make her their first priority. They’d be along once they’ve finished up at work.

“Do we know if she’ll be okay?” asked Professor McGonagall nervously.