Take Me Away

Two days before the end of term, and there was another attack. It was the Hufflepuff boy who was almost attacked by the snake at the Dueling Club. Jade wanted to raise everyone’s spirits by taking a trip to Hogsmeade. It was Thursday night, so witches drank at a discount.

“I’m so in,” said Maggie as she rushed into the dorm and changed her clothes. “This is exactly what we need.”

Serena was in the bathroom, beginning to feel excited for Christmas Break. She loved going to Maggie’s house. It wasn’t like her house. Her parents did magical enchantments everywhere and spread the house with Christmas Cheer. It was what Serena was looking forward to the most. Being around a happy family.

“Come on, Rena,” said Olivia as she knocked on the bathroom door. “I have to do my hair.”

“Alright, alright,” said Serena finishing up her make up. “What time did Jade want us to be there?”

“Nine o’clock,” said Maggie as she put on her jacket. “It’s snowing outside, so bundle up.”

The three girls marched out of the castle and headed straight for the Hog’s Head. It wasn’t the most attractive pub, the Three Broomsticks was definitely a little more cozy, but all of the older witches and wizards went to the Hog’s Head. It was also easy for Jade to smuggle them alcohol.

“There you are!” said Jade as the three of them walked through the door. The pub was crowded tonight, as it was most Thursday nights. The girls took their seats at the bar and Jade gave them all a huge glass of Ogden’s Firewhiskey.

Serena took a sip, it burned her throat but it made her warm. It was the perfect drink for a cold and wet night.

“A couple of these and you’ll have to carry me back to the dorm,” said Serena as she placed her glass back down.

“So, what’s up with you and Wood?” asked Jade suddenly. Her question took Serena by surprise and she just stared at her. “C’mon, I’m not stupid. I can tell when two people are into each other.”

“We’re just – friends,” said Serena carefully. Maggie and Olivia avoided Serena’s gaze and pretended to be rather interested in their drinks. “You two told her, didn’t you?”

“Oh don’t blame them,” said Jade. “It’s not like you were particularly good at hiding it.”

“Hiding what?” asked Serena. “There’s nothing going on!”

“Serena, we don’t care!” said Jade. “Wood is hot. I’d shag him. He’s a pureblood, no shame in him.”

Serena smiled slightly and Maggie patted her on the back.

“You’d make a cute couple,” she said giggling.

“Yeah, drink up,” said Serena as she took Maggie’s cup and forced the drink down her throat.

The girls laughed and drank for hours and then the door to the pub burst open. Oliver Wood was standing there with a seventh year Gryffindor named Josh Pike and a seventh year Ravenclaw whom she didn’t recognize.

“Look who just showed up,” said Jade as she wiped down the bar. “Go get em, tiger.”

“No, Jade. I’m way to drunk to talk to him,” said Serena trying not to focus on how extremely good-looking he was.

“That’s the best time to talk to boys,” she said. “Here I’ll help you out. Wood! There’s a seat over here next to Serena!’

“SHUSH, JADE!” yelled Serena as she tried to wiggle out of sight. It was too late. Oliver sat down next to her, and Josh and the Ravenclaw boy made themselves comfortable beside him.