The Diary (Part 2)

I put a small smile on, adjusted my gloves to hide the ring better, and walked into the open doorway. I stood there for a second while nobody noticed while they played card games, and so with a small voice asked, "Hey, can I join?"

No one noticed for a few seconds. Rather, they noticed but were deciding if it was just in their heads. Celeste, surprisingly, was the first one to spin around and gasp dramatically. I had to laugh, it was just so extra. She ran over to me, the others following suit.

"America your back!" she said.

"Uh, yeah." I said awkwardly. I didn't really know how to respond. Didn't she hate me? This is weird. Celeste ran to hug me, then took my hands in hers, but not in a harsh way, though as if we were friends almost. Her thumb grazed my engagement ring and I saw a happy confusion and amusement play across her face, but it actually looked genuine. I was shocked. Was there something I was missing?

"America!" the others chorused, rushing to surround me.

"Where were you? What happened? Did the rebels get you? How did you escape?" They were a flurry of questions, making my head spin.

"Slow down." I said, using my hand to stop them from talking all at once. It took a second or two before someone spoke again.

"America," Celeste said, being the first to speak, " I want to apologize." An apology from Celeste? Was I dreaming?

"What?" I said, sure I heard wrong. There is no way, I thought remembering all of the things Celeste has done.

"I want to apologize, to start fresh and become friends with you. I already apologized to everyone else, and they've forgiven me, but it took time. I understand," she took a deep breath, " I understand if you don't want to forgive me at all. I've been the worst to you."

I've been through so much this month that I don't even care if she doesn't mean it. I just want to make a mends with everyone.

"It's fine. I forgive you." I said with a shrug. She pulled me in for another hug as a maid came through the doorway.

"M'ladies, you are requested at lunch." she said with a curtsy and left. I knew she didn't mean me though. I had to stay below the radar for a bit longer.

"Okay, well I guess I'll get going, too. When lunch is over feel free to come to my room. There's someone I want you to meet." I said, smiling at their confused faces.

"Sure." said Elise, and everyone filed out to go down to the Dining Hall. Now it was just me and Celeste.

"I need to get something back that Kriss borrowed before I leave." she said. I nodded and left the room to travel just round the corner to mine. I decided to leave the door open and sit on my be while Blue ate in the bathroom, the only other place to put his food bowl.

As I sat I watched as the light from the windows poured across the bed and into the hallway, where a pair of high heeled feet greeted me.

"America," Celeste said, "You need to see this." Oh great. What could have happened in the two minutes I wasn't around.

"Shouldn't you be at lunch?" I asked.

"I'll just be a little late, its fine." she said.

I stood up and followed her around the corner, assuming we were going to her room, but instead stopping in front of Kriss's room who's door was wide open.

"Celeste what are we doing at Kriss's room?" I ask, confused.

"You really have to see this." she said in such a voice indicating something bad happened. But then why would she get me? She walked across the room in hurried strides, picking up a black-covered journal. I hesitantly take a step forward while Celest is flipping through to the most recent pages-this week. Before I could stop her, she starts reading aloud:

"Kriss's Diary,

I feel me and Maxon getting more distant every day.

He doesn't come visit me as much anymore, and I

know it has something to do with America's kidnapping.

Maybe I could hurt myself-like a sprained ankle-" What

am I reading? "-or even better, I could get kidnapped

myself. That seems too complicated, but all I know is

that I love Maxon and I want the crown. If I win, I'll get two

prizes. Stupid America, she's the closest thing I have to a friend,

but I won't hesitate. Maxon has to like me better that her, right?

I need to make sure of it. Time to seduce, Kriss.-" Oh god.

Celeste stopped reading, and I was standing there with a shocked expression imprinted on my face. I guess she does have a little evil in her after all.

"Was her nice act just an act?" I asked more to myself than Celeste, but she responded anyway.

"Not completely, there's still some nice in her, but that won't come back until Maxon finally chooses one of you two." she said.

"What do you mean? What about Elise and Natalie and you?" I asked. Then I felt stupid for asking because Maxon chose me already, and for a second I was really nervous. Then I felt like laughing over my stupidity.

"You didn't hear? While you were...... gone from the palace Maxon narrowed it down to just you and Kriss. My guess is that he either realized he can live without you or he can't and doesn't want to live without you which," she said, a smile growing on her face as she sets the diary down, and turns to face me, "I think I know which one it is, judging by the ring your trying to hide under your gloves." she said gesturing to my gloves.

I stood there, stunned out of my mind for about five minutes before I said, "How did you know?"

"Please," she said, "you can't hide a diamond like that from this girl." A laugh choked out of my mouth, and she joined in. Soon we collapse on the ground in laughter.

Suddenly we freeze, as we heard footsteps down the hall. Was lunch already over? I look over at Celeste to see that we have the same frightened look on our faces. We can't get caught.

"Celeste, follow me into my room, you won't make it to your room in time." I said, wondering if even I was going to make it back to my room. As the sound of footsteps grew louder and louder we swiftly round the courner into my room and shut the door I had left open quietly.

Just then Blue walks in from the spot on the balcony where he was laying, yawning.

"Who's this?" Celeste said, squatting down to pet him. I had forgotten no one knew about Blue.

"That's Blue, my official guard dog." I said with a smile. It's been about a day or two an I'm already so attached to Blue.

"So," I started, "can you keep this a secret?" I asked, gesturing to my ring.

"Of course, I guess I understand. Now, can I stay over for a bit to talk?" she asked.

"Oh, sure." I said. I really was starting to enjoy her company. What did she want to talk about though?

"So," she said looking around at first, "do you believe in the impossible?"

_____________________________________________________________________________

Ahhhhhh finally another chapter! So sorry I waited so long to post this. Also sorry the ending was just ehh. Anyway (1st) I think I might add in so magic and stuff into it, but still try to keep it realistic. (2nd) follow me n Instagram to see when I'll post next and to give me some ideas too- and if you do follow me on Instagram please dm me saying your from wattpad / @woofpaws.official - I'm going to do a spoopy Halloween chapter next too!

Also shoutout to Joe434 for adding this to your reading list and Daugular01for commenting regularly and voting <3

Hugs and Love <3

Mer/woofpaws