An Interesting Reaction

We stayed there on the floor, a big family hug, and the love was almost overwhelming.

Once we got over ourselves we all stood, Kenna coming to stand next to me. I glanced at her to see she was wearing a mischievous smirk. I raised an eyebrow in question when I heard May gasp and then squeal in a very exceptionally deafening pitch that put her first squeal to shame.

______________________________________________________

Maxon came to stand next to me as I wince at the pitch of May's squeal. In the corner of my eye I could see Maxon covering his ears to the high frequency that is May's range.

I could see Kenna standing to my right now, having joined in the hug on the floor earlier. She was smiling to the point of holding in giggles.

I throw a confused look in her direction, receiving a knowing look and a gestured glance at my hands. It takes a second for both the ringing in my ear to subdue, and my confusion turn into realization. I look up at my mom, who seemed to have realized the same thing, and my dad smiling with knowing look. Gerard just kept wincing at May's squeal, oblivious to the cause.

They had seen the ring on my finger.

I did not expect them to find out like this, so soon. I had barely gotten two words out so far, but I guess their trip to the palace was to be enlightened on my (Maxon and I's) engagement. So, I took a deep sigh and started.

"Jesus May, I think NASA heard you." I joked, lightheartedly. Before she could respond, mom unexpectedly cut in.

"I-- wha-- is that what I think it is?" She stuttered from shock of this new wave of information. Apparently, I was supposed to answer, as she continued, "America?"

"Yes, mom - and May, dad, Gerard," I paused to relish in the embrace Maxon had me in from behind, grapping his hands which ere wrapped around my midsection as he lovingly rested his chin on my shoulder. "Maxon and I are engaged!"

The reactions were all about expected: May let out a defining squeal and jumped up and down hastily with a newfound energy (I honestly don't know how she has this amount of energy at all times), my dad nodded at me with a proud look on his face (he must have known, because knowing Maxon- he had probably asked permission to marry me), Gerard was indifferent, not fully processing it I suppose - he's only seven.

Mom, on the other hand, didn't rant about finally being an upper caste, or getting to live in a better house without financial worries. She simply looking at me with the same proud look my dad wore, and she was tearing up- which had caught me by surprise. She wasn't ne to show affection most of the time.

Once May was done with her (third, was it?) squealing episode mom stepped forward and placed a hand on my cheek. "America, I'm so proud of you. You found love without loosing yourself a bit in the process - something many can't do."

My dad cut in, "Yeah, I remember when your mother--,"

"Shalom!" mom exclaimed, hints of embarrassment creeping into her voice, assumingly from her past.

"Okay, okay darling," my dad said, laughing a bit as well, "A story for another time, perhaps Christmas?"

When we were all finished chucking at mom's flushed face, Maxon spoke. "Alright Singers, I have two maids here to show you to your room." Two maids I've seen here and there suddenly pop out to escort my family away.

"But I wanna stay with Ames!" May whined. Mom was about to scold her for whining, but I wouldn't mind spending time with her to be honest. We used to always have tea parties in the yard after I would finish homework under the tree back at home.

I looked to the clock to the left of me which read '12:30'.

"Well I said I'd meet Marlee in the garden for lunch at 1:00, so if we get you dressed right now I'm sure she wouldn't mind me binging you along May." I said.

"Really Ames? I haven't seen Marlee in forever!" May said as I hurried her out the door after saying goodbyes to everyone so I could get May dressed fast. Lord knows she loves to take her time, and we've only got thirty minutes.

When May and I got back into my room I summoned my maids, who came in a hurry, to fix up May. She was looking through my closet in awe of all of the dresses I had. While Anne was retrieving some hair pins and Mary was getting some simple blush, mascara, an lip-gloss, Lucy came rushing in with a light pink day dress with white flowers embroided near the bottom hem of the dress.

Once May was dressed up (which she loved) we headed down and towards the garden to meet Marlee. When we got there we found the table she was sitting at, chatting with a maid.

"Oh, America!" She waved me over. Then she saw May trailing behind me, practically skipping, giddy with joy.

"May! Thank gosh your here too, I really need someone to braid my hair."

"Oh great! I just figured out a new sort of style too!" May responded with just as much energy. I fond this sudden topic very weird and out of the blue, but I figured it was just a way to bond with May. I can tell they see us all as practically sister, and I do too, if I'm being honest.

As May started on Marlee's hair, a maid came up t as what we'd like to have for lunch. Once we "ordered" (I guess that's what you would call it) we started on small talk about everything that happened.

We started theorizing how Kriss would take the news of Maxon and I's engagement once we decide to tell everybody, and then May went on to rant about the types a pretty dresses she would want made and to help make, and to see if there were any cute boys her age in the palace. That made us all three laugh our heads off.

Suddenly Marlee's laugh halted. She looked a bit serious, but still had amusement in her eyes.

"Marlee?" I questioned.

"America, I have news, and I wanted to tell you before I tell Carter because I need your opinion on it and gosh I'm ranting aren't I?" She said at a speady pace. May continued to braid her hir, but her head perked up to listen.

Marlee spoke again. "Im---"

________________________________________________________________________________

Ahhhhhhh mwahaha cliffhanger! So I don't remember when I last updated, but since two of my favorite ongoing stories (they weren't written on wattpad though and don't relate the selection) were update after a long wait I was in too good a mood not to update! I know this is a fluffy chapter an a rather shotonw too (again, sorry guys :0 )but next one is TeA gArEnTeEd! Ilyasm and have a great day/night!

Love and Hugs <3

Meri