All Alone

I walk into my bathroom, going over to the sink to wash my face. I turned the faucet on and splashed my face with cold water. I wavered on taking a shower before I go to sleep, but ultimately decided against it.

I dry my face and change out of my dress, and into a pair of sleeping shorts and a light grey sweatshirt Maxon had gifted me.

I went to close my door when a searing pain shot through my head. I fell to the floor, and the last thing I see is darkness cornering my vision.
____________________________________________________________________________

I can feel the soft comforter beneath me before I even open my eyes. I sit up slowly, in a daze. Seems I woke up to a quite morning, not that the palace makes much noise regularly, but I would usually hear the sudden bustle of maid every now and then, or guards chatting as they went to their next shift.

I get up, stretch my arms out, and head over to the bathroom to take a shower. I turn the shower on and walk back into my room to smooth my comforter a bit while the shower runs. When I walk back in the bathroom the mirror was steamy. I stripped of my clothes and stepped in. When the refreshing warm water hit my skin something felt off. I shrugged it away, stepping out and wrapping myself in a towel.

I decided to put the same dress on, I didn't do much in it anyway. Slipping into my dress and re-adjusting my ankle brace, I step out of my bathroom and into my room. Looking out the window I could see the sun had risen not to long ago, signifying it was most likely around 8:00am.

Looking back towards my room, something felt weird. Like something was missing. I scanned my eyes across the room. Upon finding nothing, I walk towards my closet to close their doors when I stopped dead in my tracks. I look over, a pit setting firm in my stomach. 'Crap,' I thought, 'the book is gone.'

The book hidden amongst the other books by Celeste, who stressed that it stay hidden, was gone. I didn't know what the book was, but judging by Celeste's reaction to Maxon almost seeing it, it would be ten times worse if it was missing. 'Or got into the wrong hands,' I though, but pushed it aside.

I think over all possible things I could do, deciding in the end to tell Celeste. Two sets of eyes are better than one after all.

I rush over to her room, carelessly leaving my door wide open. I didn't have time to knock, so I shoved open the door.

"Celeste, we have a---." the room was sparse. Where could she be? It's only the morning. Maybe she went to the kitchen to grab food? In the outcome I head to the kitchen.

Wait. This isn't right.

Very out of breath and almost to the kitchen, I noticed something There was no one. No one. That's a bit weird, I usually would at least see a guard stationed or some maids passing by. The pit in my stomach sinks deeper and I run faster despite my already-labored breathing, making it to the kitchen. I take a breath mentally preparing myself, before carelessly swinging open the door.

No one.

"Okay, it must just be a coincidence." I said, trying to talk myself out of whatever crazy situation was forming in my mind. "Think, America." I said, again to myself. "What's one place that at least one person would be."

The Great Hall. I see at least one person in there every time I'm in that room. I walk quickly, making my way around to the Great Hall. Throwing open the doors, impatient, only to be met with an echo.

Somethings wrong.

Where is everybody? What do I do now? My breathing became faster, panic waving over me. Tears rim my eyes. Convincing myself to pull it together, I decide to visit the library. There has to be something on what I'm experiencing.

Getting there, I quickly skim the eyes picking up every book that could potentially help me. I grabbed about fourteen books and settled on the couch. Skimming the titles I decide on the first book, The Sequence of Dreaming, and skim through it. After about ten minutes I decide that book is ultimately useless, I move on to the next.

Six books later, tears f frustration rolling down my face, I take a break from reading and decide to more thoroughly look through the shelves. Deciding to give up, lean against a bookcase and shrink down, hugging my knees.

I'm all alone. How did this happen? How is this possible? I sigh, feeling exhausted at this current predicament. I took a moment to breath, and then closed my eyes and retraced my steps.

What happened before I fell asleep? I showered, got changed and.......darkness. No, wait, that can't be it. I don't remember lying down though. Did I get knocked unconscious? Is this why I'm here, like this is a dream?

Question after question danced and poked and prowled at my mind, all questions I have no answers to. I sigh, deciding to start looking for more books on dreams. Picking myself up, I slowly trekked to the shelf on the far left. I hadn't looked at the top shelf yet.

Grabbing a stool from the other side of the library, I carried it back, placed it down, and started skimming the top rows of books. Finding merely three that looked even remotely promising, I got down carefully, placing the stool to the side, and started skimming the books.

When my brain decided it was overloading on useless information, about five minutes later of being impatient, I put the books on a random shelf within my reach and then sigh.

I turn the corner, coming across the other shelves of books. The feeling comes back not a moment later. The pit in my stomach has settled in, and I stiffly make my way, skimming books on the shelf, ignoring the urge to run.

Thud.

I heard something drop behind me. Spinning around violently, this being the first sound I've heard not caused by me, a lump in my throat begins to form. On the ground lays the leather-covered, beaten up, untitled book.

_____________________________________________________________________________

Ahhhhhhh! I'm so happy I have another chapter done! So, the book fell obviously.....but how? What do you think happened? Thank you so much every one-for what, I don't know, but still thanks. I hope everyone has an amazing day/night. ily(all)sm :)

Hugs and Love <3

Mer/woofpaws