A Selfish Newly Stranger

An ice chill ran down my back and hot rage filled my insides. If the person who I think is in there, then there is no good outcome in this situation.

But, the logical part of me reasoned, he could have changed. We'll just see about that.

So I nod once towards Maxon, put my hand on the door handle, and step inside.

The room is pretty bare, no windows, no color, only a table and a chair on either side. In the chair sat the person who made my suspicion correct. The asshole himself.

When he saw me he smirked.

"Hi." Kota said.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Kota." I said stiffly, a single, sharp nod of my head going along with it.

"Well, Ames," I stiffened at his casual mention of my nickname, "I have to say, I'm quite shocked at this development." He leaned back in his chair casually, crossing his arms.

"Care to elaborate?" I asked, making sure to coat my tone in boredom. The only way to win with Kota is to hide your feelings from him, especially rage -- that's his fuel.

"Well, sister, you managed to win the heart of a prince. I hope you told him good things about me and my artwork." He said, just as cocky as he has always been. 'Actually, no, I told him you were a douche.' I thought.

"Get to the point please," I said, not taking a seat, deciding it would probably be better to stand for this. Despite the monotone look on my face, my palms were starting to sweat. Kota has always left a trail of destruction when he wants something, like when he wanted to be famous. Only his trail of destruction to get there was his relationship with his family.

"Well," he paused, "I want you and your little fiancée to promote my artwork." He said. Of course, I should have expected nothing less. I could've just said yes, promote his work, and be done with him. Correction: I should've. Except I didn't, I jabbed at him instead.

"Sorry Mister, I only help out family," I said, void of all emotion. At least from what he can tell.

"I am family, I'm your brother. Remember, Ames?" So he's going to try to soften me into this. It didn't work. If anything, it made my blood boil even more.

"Kota you disowned yourself from the family a long time ago to help out your own career. Family helps each other out first, remember?" I head towards the door. "You may stay half an hour longer, and then I want you gone."

His facial expression had changed when I looked over my shoulder, he dropped his smile and his eyes carried a range of emotion from anger to shock. Did he really think I would help him out when he's never helped us out?

I walked out into the hall where Maxon stood, waiting for me to come out.

"Well.....?" He asked timidly.

"Maxon, I want him out of the palace in thirty minutes. I really appreciate you doing this for me, but I guess he still hasn't changed." I said with a shrug.

"I'll go make the arrangements now." He gave me a tight hug and went off.

I sighed as exhaustion crashed into me, which was unusual because I was perfectly awake a few minutes ago. Shrugging it off, I headed back to my room. Once I got there I opened the door to find Georgia sitting at my desk, and typing on what I'd assume is her computer because the odds Maxon gave her one to use is very incredibly unlikely.

"You brought your computer?" I asked though I could already guess the answer.

"Yeah, I figured I'd be safer with my research here." She said, though not looking up from her computer, instead furiously hitting the keys at an abnormally fast pace.

"Oh okay, should I leave?" I ask. I know that this is my room, technically, but I'm not rude, and I really don't mind relocating.

"Oh no, no, you can stay." A 'ding' sound came from her computer, "Ok...," she muttered. Turning her attention back to me she added, "I might not be able to talk for a while though."

Deciding the library would probably be a better place to spend some time, I headed there in search of answers to the book that hides in my room, and to figure out why Celeste wants it hidden. I guess I could have asked her, but I'll just wait and do it later.

When I reach the library though, someone else is already rummaging through the bookshelf I was headed for. Much to my disliking, it was Kota. Maybe it wasn't too late to leave.

"America?" Crap.

"Yes, Kota? Never knew you were the type to read." As much as I wanted to fight, I didn't have enough energy to.

"Eh, I get around to some books, this and that." I could tell he was feigning friendliness, but yet again - I was too exhausted to mind.

I shrug and move along to the other side of the bookshelf to look for a book - any - that I could read to keep me busy or to fall asleep to. Picking a random book off the shelf I then shuffle to the comfort of the library couch. Taking a seat, I allow myself to sink into the cushions.

I open the book, trying to ignore Kota, who seems to be doing the same thing. After about five minutes of staring at a random word in my book with unfocused attention, I decided that I should do something more productive with my time, considering I can't seem to focus.

I stood to put the book back, then froze. Something was off, or at least something wasn't right. I shook the feeling off, just for now, I can evaluate it later. Walking over to the shelf I put the book back randomly, and walked back over to the couch, this time stopping mid-way.

I turned around just as the pit of my stomach sank and an eeriness surrounded me like fog in the early morning. The familiar sharp pang shot through my head, and the last thing I saw was Kota rushing up to me when the dark was closing in.

And then it went black.

_______________________________________________________________________________

AHHHH! This story has 1K reads? That's crazy and I almost don't believe it! Anyway I have so many things planned for this that I haven't even written yet it's unbelievable!) Anyway, Ilyasm and I hope you have a great day/night. And thank you (especially the commenters, y'all keep me motivated : )

Love and Hugs <3

Meri