3: Drunkard On The Streets

Everyday, the two would take a walk early in the morning to gather herbs and other supplies. Xin Rui pursed her lips when she was forced to wear a dirty, old basket on her back but she doesn't dare to complain with Yu Jian around.

She doesn't like touching dirt or insects at all. As the eldest miss, she have never once touched the soils—not even with her shoes. However, in the natural state of mother nature herself, it wasn't something she could avoid.

"Heavens!" she suddenly squealed with excitement as she ran into the deep woods.

His voice nearly shook with anxiety, afraid that she would get lost again, "Wait, Rui-er. Don't just run off like that..."

When she did not return quick enough, he sighed softly and chased after her. But before he could even look for her, she suddenly popped behind a large tree with dirt on her face as she carried something in her hands.

She ran back towards him, panting heavily with a large smile, "Look at what I've found!"

In her slender hands that were covered in dirt, lay a large ginseng root. She happily bubbled while licking her lips, almost drooling, "If we sell this, we don't have to eat fish everyday anymore! We can get some various types of meats..."

He smiled helplessly and wiped the dirt off her cheek before pinching the soft squish, "Only know how to eat."

That day, they had meat for the first since he took her under his wing. Xin Rui ate till she couldn't eat anymore and was extremely satisfied. Yu Jian shook his head and shushed her to sleep after scolding her that they'll still have to wake up early tomorrow.

Rui giggled and sleepily whispered, "Thank you, Yu Jian. As expected from the world's number one chef..."

He tucked her into the make-shift mattress, "You're tired, stop spouting nonsense."

The two woke up early the next day. Xin Rui casually tied up her hair with a ribbon and washed her face with a fresh bucket of water. With a cotton rag, she patted her face dry. In her own corner, she had her belongings stored away. Yu Jian had spared some of his time and considerations to make a bag for her to put her stuff in. Rui opened the bag and gazed at the items inside.

There were several hairpins, bracelets, and other jewelries she had on her before the day she ran away. One particular hairpin stood out to her. It was a gold pin with a painted pink flower at the end. She held the gold pin in her hand as she stared longingly at it before she shoved it back inside the bag, and closed it with a slam. Her eyes pricked with tears as her lips protruded.

Does Brother Zhi not understand the meaning of giving a maiden a hairpin? If he didn't like her, then why did he even bother to be nice to her? Was he ignorant or was he playing with her feelings?

Whatever! She won't care, she won't.

Picking up the old basket and a bamboo hat, she walked out to meet Yu Jian. There, he was patiently waiting for her while gazing at the sun that was rising above the mountains. The soft golden glow outlined the line of his face. When he noticed her and turned his head slightly, his eyes reflected a gentle, gold, amber color.

"Ready?" he asked softly. In response, she nodded with excitement.

Today, they will be heading down a small town to sell their products. When they arrived at the buzzing streets, she saw many stalls open with various kinds of merchandises: food stands, jewelry, weapons, lanterns. Rui's eyes glimmered with enthusiasm while her mouth began to drool over the food. Though the jewelry weren't made of real ores, surprisingly enough, some were quite beautiful.

Her hand reached out towards a jade pin, but stopped in midair. She was no longer the Eldest Miss of the Xin household. The light in her eyes dimmed and the curve of her lips slowly flattened. Averting her gaze, she returned to Yu Jian's side like nothing happened.

Yu Jian glanced at her but did not say anything. They quickly sold the herbs and readied to leave when a drunkard suddenly started a commotion on the streets.

"A drunkard in the middle of the day?" Rui inquired with a bit of disdain in her soft voice. Yu Jian simply said, "Ignore him."

However, she couldn't help but to watch the man yell at random commoners on the street. Everyone avoided him like a plague. His hair was disheveled and his clothes were stained with random sorts of liquid. It was an unpleasant sight. Abruptly, he grabbed a nearby lady, scaring the wits out of her. She struggled and tried to pry his grip off of her arm. Xin Rui furrowed her eyebrows and ran towards the scene without a second to waste. She yanked the drunkard off the poor lady and gave him a kick to the stomach. He groaned in anger and stumbled back a little, but he quickly grabbed Rui's arm.

"Who do you think you are, little miss? But you're a better substitute...come on, serve me for the night," his revolting breath fanned her face and she scrunched her nose in disgust. Fighting the urge to vomit, she held her breath in.

Before she could kick him again, Yu Jian grabbed the drunkard's shoulder and flipped him to his stomach before twisting his arm back. His gentle face remained unchanging while his eyes carried a bit of anger. With a swift move, he quickly knocked the drunk man out on the streets. Honestly, she was quite surprised. She did not think that Yu Jian would have such capabilities.

"Thank you, Gentleman and Miss..." the young lady bowed multiple times, a little more towards Yu Jian. She shyly glanced at him and then blushed with a smile before running off. Rui rolled her eyes and felt cheated. She was the one that helped her first!

Xin Rui dusted her sleeves and kicked the unconscious body. She whispered under her breath, "Bastard. Lose your jewels!" She nailed one more kick at the drunkard, this time where the sun doesn't shine.

Yu Jian gently grabbed her hand and pulled her aside to a more secluded area. He raised her sleeve, catching her by surprise. As a reflex, she struggled a little in his grasp. However, he was simply checking her arm for any signs of injury. Seeing the small bruise forming, he sighed helplessly.

This time, his tone was not as soft as before, "Why did you involve yourself?"

Xin Rui looked up into his two obsidian orbs of eyes and answered honestly, "If someone needed help and I can help, then I would help. I cannot simply stand there and watch the scene unfold before me. Do you think anyone would've done anything if I haven't?"

Yu Jian stared at her without a word. Oh, the irony of the situation. Why did he involve himself with her? Simply because he could not stand there and watch her die. He sighed and relaxed the tension on his shoulders as he caressed her head.

"Let's go back."

She curved her lips into a small, sweet smile, "En."

Enchanted by her smile, he froze and stared a little longer than he should have. Turning around, he walked a little ahead and said in an inaudible tone, "Devious vixen."