26: Killer

No matter how times she thought about it, or any other alternative solutions, Rui was led to one conclusion: confront her father. It is a death wish. But it is a risk she was willing to take. She couldn't drag Yu Jian into this mess. She's too entangled with the political powers——it may be too late for her, but not for him. If it means giving him a chance to escape to the Wujin Nation, then she'll do it.

After Yu Jian was capable of moving comfortably, Rui gave the physician the gold bar. "Take this, as my thanks. I know that you make a lot as a doctor, so it shouldn't be suspicious."

His frail hands held the bar and he stared at it for a few seconds. He sighed, "Be careful. I have a back door you can go through. Use it. Here are the medicine."

She smiled thankfully, "Thank you old man...really. If I make it out alive"—she laughed a little—"I will definitely return the favor to you."

"Don't. Just be alive."

Again, her heart was filled with warmth and she gave the old man a hug. "You have shown me more kindness in the last few days than my father did in my entire life..."

The doctor slowly patted her head and pushed her to go, "Hurry. Before dawn comes."

Yu Jian gave a nod of respect towards the old man and the two covered their faces with hats as they quietly left through the back door.

Since they were in just a small town, there was not a lot of people on the streets. They headed towards the Capital City, where the majority of the influential families are, and hitched a ride to the North East region.

They ducked their heads when they passed by a group of soldiers with emblems from the royal family. With the remaining silver that she had, she purchased a room to stay in for a couple of nights.

Rui does not plan to take Yu Jian with her on her journey to her father's manor, nor does she plan to tell him. In the morning, she lied, "Yu Jian-ah, I'm going to head out to find a person who can help us through the gates."

He stood up, "I'll come—"

"No! No, don't. It will be suspicious with the both of us walking around. You're still recovering. Plus, this friend of mine is highly cautious of people. He doesn't trust a lot of people..." her eyes averted.

Yu Jian frowned, "Then how I can trust you with him?"

"Just trust me—"

"Last time you said that to me, he turned out to be a psychopath." He cut her off with a cold gaze.

Her eyes widened as her lips parted before she turned her head away from him. She could hear him sigh from behind and his footsteps towards her. Wrapping his arms around her waist, he planted a sweet kiss on her exposed neck, "Just come back safely..."

Blushing, she quickly adjusted her clothes and nodded before heading out. Yu Jian stared at her fleeting figure. Again, he let her slip through his fingers. He really didn't want to let go, but it was like some force planted him in his spot and refused to let him go.

Her eyes darted left and right on the crowded streets. Spotting a group of familiar soldiers from the Xin family, she sarcastically smiled, "What luck..."

They must be still on the look out for her disappearance—or had her as a wanted criminal—who knows? Either way, they will not hurt her. Even though Xin Dao is ruthless, he would still want to hear an explanation before sending her to Yama with a white ribbon silk. She approached them.

"Move. You are blocking our path," the leader of the group said. Rui lifted her hat, revealing cold eyes and icy face that were all too familiar.

"E-eldest mis—" She placed a finger against her lips, indicating them to be quiet. Shocked, the soldiers didn't know how to react. Reality seemed a little too good to them for her to suddenly appear on their first day of searching.