12: Luxurious Life

Yu Jian remained silent as he slowly walked away for a moment. Understanding his meaning, Rui followed him and stood closer as they whispered quietly.

"Rui-er, do you want to go?"

She flattened her lips into a line and lowered her head. Murmuring, she replied, "En." However, she was quick to explain herself, "We're looking for a safe place to stay anyway. It's not just because he's my Zhi-gege that I'm agreeing to his suggestions. You already heard about my father putting a price over my head. We can have a comfortable lifestyle for the time being and stay hidden. We can trust him! I've known him for years."

Yu Jian connected his icy glare with her pleading eyes. He felt unreasonably angry and blurted, "I'm not obligated to accompany wherever you go."

"Ah..." Rui winced a little at his cold words. The two spent a very long time together so naturally, she assumes that it will stay like that. Regretting his words, he exhaled deeply and rested his eyes. During this time, he analyze the situation and looked at the bigger picture. For sure, she will go with Cai Zhi. Regardless if they were childhood friends, lovers, or relatives— he doesn't trust him. Something is suspicious about him. Worried that Xin Rui would be harmed in anyway, he decided to come with her as well.

But somewhere in his heart, Yu Jian secretly wasn't willing to part with her yet. She was like the sun to him' without the sun, it becomes too cold, too lonely.

Since he agreed to go with her, Rui was cheerful once again. She curled her soft lips into a bright smile and lightly swung Yu Jian's hands side to side childishly. Cai Zhi narrowed his eyes at the two and held a displeased frown.

After several days of traveling, the group finally arrived at Cai Zhi's secret manor. It was not a grand place; rather, it was secluded and peaceful. Large trees hid away the manor. Several servants came out with their heads lowered to greet their young master and the guest.

Before heading inside, Cai Zhi announced with a threatening tone, "If I hear one word from your unworthy mouths that we have guests in my manor and under my care, I will have your tongues cut off before sending you to the northern military camp base. I'm sure the men there will need some sort of...help."

The trembling servants immediately fell to their knees and kowtowed their foreheads harshly against the rough concrete, crying aloud, "Young Master, we do not dare. Have mercy on us!"

He made a noise of acknowledgement before stepping inside. Rui and Yu Jian were still walking inside when they heard his warning from afar. Subconsciously, her body shuddered when he threatened them, but she calmed her nerves down. Meanwhile, Yu Jian continued to walk forwards but his eyes were clouded with thoughts. She quietly whispered, "Zhi-gege was the lieutenant for several battles. He is sometimes brutal, but he has good intentions."

The servants led them to an opening before they split into opposite pathways. One of the servant girls motioned, "Miss, your room will be in the East side of the manor. Sir, your room will be in the West side."

The two lightly frowned and Rui blurted without thinking, "That far?" Realizing that her words were inappropriate and could hold a hidden meaning, she cleared her throat and explained, "I feel safer with this gentlemen nearby. I feel uncomfortable with guards so it'll be better to have him near me."

The maid hesitated as she contemplated on what she should do next. Her master specifically ordered them to stay on opposite sides. She pursed her lips, "This servant is slow-witted and dumb so this lowly one cannot do anything. Young Master had arranged his manor by gender. This servant is afraid that..."

"Ah, I see. If that's how it is, then I will not make things difficult for you." Rui smiled sadly, instantly capturing the maid's heart. For some reason, Rui has a very influential aura. Seeing her sad made her feel an unexplainable guilt. She leaned a little closer and whispered, "This servant can try to bring the rooms a little closer."

Like a peony flower, a smile blossomed on Rui's visage as she sweetly thanked the maid. Grateful, she asked for her name, "My name is Liling."

"Liling, you're very lovable." With such a compliment from a beautiful woman, the maid blushed shyly. After a few arrangements, they finally settled down in their rooms to rest quietly. Due to the fact that Xin Rui was fond of Liling, she became her temporary personal maid. "Did you know, Liling, that the world is so vast? From this manor, you could only see the sky, its clouds, and occasionally some birds."

Rui softly described what she saw when she exploring the mountains and villages. The exotic flowers that grows on tree barks, weirdly shaped mushrooms, and the plethora fish. Amazed, Liling listened earnestly to every detail as Rui ranted on and on. She lowered her head and embarrassingly mumbled, "This servant was purchased by Young Master from a slave trade seven years ago. Other than that, this servant has never left this manor or have the chance to explore in the large cities."

Rui took ahold of Liling's small hands and patted them gently, "One day, I'll take you with me to go and see."

Feeling extremely touched by her words, Liling smiled while nodding her head up and down. However, the smile was short-lived as worry began to fill her mind. Noticing her sudden change, Rui asked if she was okay. Liling stood up abruptly and bowed, "This servant still belongs to Young Master and cannot act rashly."

Hearing this, Rui let out a relieved sigh, "I thought it was something serious. Worry not, I will persuade Zhi-gege to let you come with me when we leave. I'm sure he wouldn't be petty and selfish when it comes to sharing."

Liling paled with an unreadable face and she shifted her feet uncomfortably. Unable to stand the tension, she offered to get dinner before rushing off into the kitchen. Rui did not pay much attention to her strange attitude. She sat down on the silky, soft comforter that lies on top of the bed. Large sheer white fabrics curtained around the bed. There was no doubt that they were one of the highest quality. Her large room was decorated with priceless treasures and scrolls of paintings hung on the wall—all from famous painters.

Before Liling even arrived with the food, she could already smell its delicious aroma that wafted in. Standing up, she walked towards the waxed-redwood circular table with chrysanthemum flowers carved on the side. Sitting down in a matching stool with a cushion on top, she watched Liling set each individual plate of food down.

Rui sighed inwardly. She had actually forgotten the life of luxury. While looking at the dozen of plates, she felt like it was a waste. She was only one person with a small stomach. Picking up the handcrafted chopsticks, she ate quietly as Liling stood by her side to add food to her bowl. Xin Rui shifted around in her seat with discomfort. Liling looked down and offered to change her stool, "Miss, if it's uncomfortable, this servant will find a better one."

Quickly declining, Rui shook her head furiously, "No, it is not needed. I'm just—"

'Used to eating with him.'