9: Two Silver Pins and a White Dove

Yu Jian's eyes squinted as he slowly opened them. His face feels stuffy and hot while his head feels like it's about to explode from the pounding headache. Strange? There seems to be something soft, yet heavy on top of him. He slowly looked down and nearly fainted once more.

Xin Rui's warm breathing fanned his bare chest, while one of her hands rested on his shoulder. From this angle, he could see her black lashes extending out like tiny wings. She was in nothing but her undergarments.

Yu Jian stared at her sleeping face with warm cheeks. He had never noticed that she has a small beauty mark near her eyebrow. With pursed lips, he quickly averted his eyes. Before, he would not act so flustered. After finding some interest in her, he could hardly stop his noisy heart.

"You strange woman..." he whispered inaudibly, voice deeper than normal, "At least, you are safe."

With the gentlest hands, he slowly slipped out from her grasp before gazing at the cave they reside in.

He couldn't recall the events that happened last night very well. He only remembers that Xin Rui pulled him into a cave before everything became blurry. However, he heard bits of Rui's complaints. Something like cold roasted chicken? Or was it mushrooms?

His shadow followed him as he walked towards his air-dried clothes and dressed himself. The small fire was flickering with its last breath, hanging by the thread before it extinguished into a whispering smoke. He swiftly packed everything into that old basket and adjusted it comfortably on his back. Clearing his throat quietly, he struggled to keep his coughs confined and muffled.

Walking back to the sleeping beauty, Yu Jian picked up her robes—making her lightly shiver from the sudden lack of warmth—and dusted off the debris. Without waking her up, he slipped it on her slim body and carried her in his arms.

However, it did not go unnoticed by him that she had...grown a little, as a woman. When he first saw her, he was almost convinced that she was just a pretty boy.

The warm and bright rays of the sun stirred her awake, and she found herself embraced by Yu Jian as he wordlessly walked through the forest. She jolted, catching his attention. "Yu Jian! You're awake—wait, this situation isn't right." Rui's eyes shifted right to left as she was still in the state of confusion, "Quickly, put me down! You're still ill, why are you carrying me? You could've woken me up..."

It took a little while before Yu Jian actually set her down, letting her feet touch the soil. When she balanced herself, she suddenly came close to him and touched his warm forehead. "You look better than yesterday. I'm no doctor but you shouldn't exert anymore energy." Rui scolded lightly as she examined him with worry, making Yu Jian shy away from her intensive stare.

"I'm fine—" he coughed hoarsely, "—just a little sick."

"Do you even hear yourself? "Just a little sick." " she mocked while blabbering with her hands.

"Later, I will find a doctor. And as for you,"—she lightly poked the tip of his nose and pursed her lips—"you're staying in bed while I'm out."

He furrowed his eyebrows before taking a step back, "It's dangerous. And costs too much."

Rui patted his broad shoulder, "Don't worry. I know the town doctor and he owes me a favor."

His scrutinizing gaze made her break out into sweat. She cleared her throat before she hurriedly took the basket off his back, "Let me carry this for you. You need to conserve your energy to walk."

The two fought over the basket before Xin Rui yanked it out of his hands and ran away with it. She laughed inelegantly as she ran, with a hint of mischief in her tone, "Yahahaha! I can say that I'm stronger now!"