4: Fallen Under the Moonlight

While traveling around with Yu Jian, the two found an abandoned cottage around the mountains by a small river. Usually, they don't stick to one place for too long so it was simply a temporary house.

"What is this?" Rui asked as Yu Jian handed her a bag.

"It's for you," he simply answered before leaving her room, "I forgot, how's your wounds?"

"Oh, it's okay. They're closing up," she smiled lightly before thanking him for asking. When he closed her door, she opened the bag and gasped quietly.

She pulled out two new set of female clothes. It's not the same fabric as her top quality dresses back at home, nor was it very stunning. In fact, it was kind of rough and had a dull color to it. The other dress was slightly better but it was fiery red. It was quite pretty but a bit too eye-catching.

Either way, her heart warmed a little before it began to sink in guilt. She had barely done anything for him in return yet he had already done so much for her. The only thing he asks for is for her to accompany him to finding herbs and help categorize them. If this continues, the debt will only pile up and she'll never be able to pay them off.

She sighed, truly living the simple life.

However, it was like a small break from her chaotic family. Left, right, and center, there was always danger and jealousy plotting schemes. Conversely, in this casual lifestyle, one has to watch out for the real living snakes— not the one that cakes their faces with powder.

She sat down at her bed and leaned back. Her shoulders felt relaxed while her neck was no longer tensed from fear.

"Ah, but I really shouldn't be staying here for so long..." she whispered to herself. She was close to being healed from her wound and she did not want to be a burden to Yu Jian anymore. But how could she just walk up to him and say "hey, I'm leaving" without sounding like she used him?

Besides, she quite like this calm lifestyle. It's not as lavishing as her previous one but it's doable. The supplies are more scarce and limited. Walking on foot also sucks. The insects never go away and she always get bit by them. But it's relaxing to be with Yu Jian everyday.

Yet at the same time, she misses the comfortable lifestyle. She could eat sweets everyday, play whenever she wants, and lounge lazily. She would also visit her beloved, Cai Zhi and her best friend, Li Qiuyue.

He's currently one of the top scholars in the Nangong country. He's handsome, kind, and extremely sweet with words. Just thinking of him brings a blush to her dreamy face.

Meanwhile, her closest friend is around the same age as her. She is a beautiful maiden with large round eyes, button nose, and a cute smile. Qiuyue excels in the arts of painting and calligraphy, which was quite rare for females. Thinking of her, Xin Rui suddenly feels an aching pain in her heart. She misses her terribly.

"There shouldn't be anything wrong with staying a few more days..."

A week passed since they found the cottage. Xin Rui was currently collecting Perilla Leaf for the next batch.

"Rui-er," a familiar male voice called softly.

She whipped her head around and wiped the sweat that was dripping down her forehead. Getting up, she patted herself down before jumping in front of Yu Jian with a bright smile.

Surprised, his almond eyes widened slightly before they softened. He let out a silent breath and dusted the dirt off her cheek, "Again..."

"Oops," she giggled lightly, embarrassed. Since when did she not mind the dirt?

"Come, let's go back."

She lightly sang with happiness, "En."

While they were stargazing in the middle of the night, Xin Rui suddenly started, "You know, my family wanted to sell me off to an old geezer that was old enough to be my dad."

Yu Jian was lying on the floor and had his head propped up with his arm. He did not say a word but he did not refuse to listen either, so she continued."Father wasn't like that before. It wasn't until Madam Lin began to twirl him around her pinky. She hates me to the core of my soul. Hated that I was born to the original first wife while her daughter was born as a concubine's status. Even though she was promoted after the death of my mother, it doesn't change the fact that I am still the legitimate daughter while hers was promoted. If she gets rid of me, she can build a pathway for her daughter."

"She said some words to Father and he was determined to marry me off to one of the richest families in Nangong. It wouldn't be terrible if I were to marry the young master who was only a few years older than me. But that bitch actually wanted me to marry the old master. Father tried to convince me that it's for my own good and that I will live a comfortable life there."

Rui clenched her hands into a tiny ball. She will never forget the lying words her father heartlessly threw at her that day.

"I begged Cai Zhi, my childhood sweetheart,"—Yu Jian stiffened—"to help me escape from the marriage. His status was not far from that old man's family and was rather reliable. However, he actually...hesitated. I thought we shared mutual feelings—no, everyone thought we shared mutual feelings. I guess I was wrong."

Rui laughed lightly, "So what did I do? I ran before they could lock me up. I hid for days, running for my life. Father managed to track down one of the traces I stupidly left behind and had sent men after me. Whether I was dead or alive, he wanted my body to be brought home."

Remembering those days brought a heavy discomfort in her heart as words got stuck in her throat. The betrayal weighed her down like heavy boulders.

"Father had clipped my wings at a young age. My identity, my independence, my ability to think for myself— I was tired of it. I guess the whole point of me telling you this is..." she sighed, "What I'm trying to say is thank you. Thank you for showing me this side of the world. I know I have things to fix and improve on. I'm not good in a lot of things nor very patient but I'm trying."

Her head turned towards his direction and she gave a warm, sincere smile. Compared to the sun, under the moonlight, Yu Jian's features looked twice as ethereal. His gentle eyes peered through his long lashes to gaze at the girl in front of him.

Her eyes shimmered like jewels, radiating happiness and gratitude. Pink, kissable lips curled into a beautiful smile, enhancing her pinkish skin. The purple bruises on her face had long faded away, leaving him a clear picture of her face. Her black, silky hair flowed with the wind and danced to its own song. She was like the sun, he was the moon. Two different people, sharing the same sky but never the same time. Ah, was this the very first moment where his breath was caught by her?