11: A Divide Between Us

Surprise flashed by Rui's eyes and the corners of her lips turned downward. Her brows pulled together while her heart drummed nervously. Seeing her anxious expression, Cai Zhi immediately came forth. In a careful tone, he informed her, "Your father announced that should anyone capture and bring you back, they would be heavily rewarded. Now, everyone is on the hunt for you. Those bandits that we just killed were also on the look out."

Before she could speak, Cai Zhi patted her head and leaned down to her level with a reassuring smile, "Rui, rest your heart and mind. I'll protect you from him."

However, the 'him' seemed to have a double meaning.

Yu Jian sharply interjected, "Can't trust you."

Cai Zhi shot his gaze at Yu Jian and quietly sized him up. The two were equally tall—with Yu Jian standing a few centimeters taller—and both peerlessly attractive. Underneath the worn-out clothes, he could tell that Yu Jian was physically strong as well. Though the young man seemed simple, he knew better than anyone that the simple ones were always the most complex. It seems like he needs to be more guarded against Yu Jian and keep Rui away from him. He has no doubt that trouble would befall with Yu Jian in the pathway.

He retracted his hands behind his back and stood a little taller, "Worry not. If I had wanted to Rui to remain by her father's side, then I would not have provided a secret plan for her to escape."

Yu Jian blinked and he turned towards Rui for confirmation. She slowly nodded and confessed, "Zhi-gege could not marry but he also could not bare to see me suffer, so he devised a distraction for my father, carving out an escape route for me."

Yu Jian slowly eased his tensed muscles, but the ice in his eyes have yet to defrost. His next words were harsh, and were more like a statement than a question, "Then why are you here."

Cai Zhi smiled gently with a helpless gaze, "I just needed to make sure that Rui is okay. I will do my best to keep Rui out of Minister Xin's sight."

"Not needed." Yu Jian brushed him away coldly and turned around to walk away.

"Ah? Yu Jian-ah, where are you going?" Rui called after him before taking a few steps forward to grab onto his arm. Cai Zhi narrowed his eyes and brows at their intertwined hands. Yu Jian concealed a hidden smile as he glanced at Cai Zhi's darkened look. However, his mood dropped at Rui's suggestions, "Zhi-gege, why don't you stay with us for now? It's getting dark and it's dangerous in the woods. Food is also hard to find if you're unfamiliar with the mountains. You've been traveling for a long time now so you must be tired. We're currently on the lookout for a new temporary shelter so it doesn't hurt to have more people."

Cai Zhi paused to think before cupping his hands towards Yu Jian, "Gentleman Yu Jian would not mind if my men accompany your travel, would you? Of course, they will travel behind to provide privacy."

Yu Jian glanced at the group of men and frowned. He was not a very social person to begin with. Not to even mention, Xin Rui's childhood sweetheart is within that group. "Do whatever. Find your own food and build your own tent," he tugged his arm out of Rui's grasp before he continued to walk away. Her eyebrows raised and even revealed a small sign of hurt. But she knew she deserved it. Yu Jian does not talk much nor does he like people.

However, she couldn't help it. Her heart still flutters at the sight of her Zhi-gege. Thinking about how he made the effort to look for her, it brought a warm feeling to her. His smile, his gentle demeanor, his elegance, his care—ah, his dazzling features. But Yu Jian is also quite the—

Rui thoughts were interrupted when Cai Zhi stretched out his hand for her. He curled his soft lips gently, "Rui, you can use the carriage. It's unfortunately small because I wanted to keep a low profile, so it can only fit one person. Even so, it is better than walking. Your feet must hurt by now."

At first, a smile almost made its way to blossom on her face. Yet, after hearing the rest of his words, she tilted her head to the side in confusion. They have barely even walked. The travel from town to town was greater but even then, it was not so bad. He was just worried about her health, so she laughed it off sweetly.

"Zhi-gege, you're too kind. Rui is okay and can walk just fine. Instead, Zhi-gege should use it."

He deeply frowned, "But you're a lady. A lady must take care of her fragile body. I am different, because I'm a man. I can handle a bit of walking."

Rui was perplexed—maybe even slightly disturbed—by his solemnity. Nevertheless, she smiled in a carefree manner and teased, "This lady is not that fragile."

Cai Zhi did not seem to find that amusing. Women should be dressed cleanly and treated like precious gems. Excessive exercise and lack of etiquette is not appropriate. He shot a suspecting glance at Yu Jian's back. It must be because of his bad influence. 

Attempting to get back on Yu Jian's good side, Rui ran to his side and chirped like a bird with her endless talking. In the end, she regained by his favor by promising a batch of tasty mushrooms. Yu Jian could only shake his head and let his eyes linger on her lips for a little longer. He looked away and directed the attention by telling her to not burn the forest down with her prodigious cooking abilities.

Cai Zhi and his group traveled behind them. With frowning lips and a pair of dagger-like eyes, he wordlessly observed the two. Under his gaze that could kill with a glance, traces of hurt and jealousy was apparent. Clearly, he did not like the intimate interactions between the two. A strong burst of sourness resides in him and the discomfort settled in. He was always that one that Rui would stick to, no matter where they go. Now, it seems like she favors this low class. The group of travelers settled down for the night. Cai Zhi with his own luxurious tent, Rui using a smaller tent, and Yu Jian against the tree on a high branch, right above Rui's tent. Rui wanted to invite him in so he doesn't get another cold again, but knowing Cai Zhi, he would definitely disapprove this. And so, he guarded her silently as the night passed by like a breeze.

The next day, Cai Zhi and his group of men prepared to leave. Before departing, Cai Zhi inquired, "Rui, how did you meet Gentleman Yu Jian?" Rui was about to answer honestly until she thought over her next words. It would not be good for her to tell him the whole story, she concluded. There will definitely be some unexplainable misunderstandings. Even if she had a hundred mouths, she would not be able to clear her name and reputation.

She answered half-truthfully, "When Rui-er was hiding from Father's men, Yu Jian coincidentally found me. He offered me food, clothes, and a place to stay. Thus, Rui decided to help him as repayment."

"Rui, that's not suitable for a high class lady like you. You're a maiden, not a maid." Cai Zhi sighed as he scold her.

"Zhi-gege, there's a saying that a drop of kindness should be paid for a lifetime. Are you disagreeing with teacher's words and teachings?" Rui unexpectedly challenged, making his eyes darkened a little as he shot another accusing glance at Yu Jian, before he accepted reluctantly. 

He mockingly bowed towards Yu Jian, who was silently listening on the side, "Then I must thank Gentleman Yu Jian as well. Please, Rui's debt is my debt. The two of you must've lived in the woods for a long time now. I have a secret manor in the West side of Nangong, fairly far and hidden from Minister Xin's men. Please stay for a few days. You can enjoy new clothes, food, and a better lifestyle. I just want Rui to stay safe for the time being while Minister Xin is offering rewards. You can always leave after I can confirm that Minister Xin gave up on the search." Yu Jian wanted to refuse but when he glimpsed over at Rui's face, he knew that she wanted to go. A pang of sadness washed over his entire body. Her departure time came so soon...