27: Wu Jin

A hand stopped Xin Dao. While Rui was preparing herself for another burst of pain, it never came.

"Who are you? How did you get in?" Xin Dao sharply questioned with rage.

Looking up, she saw Yu Jian standing tall like he always does. He was domineering and cold. His back straight, opened shoulders, and chin tilted towards the sky in arrogance. Her father beneath his shoes.

Immediately forgetting about her busted lips, she was worried about him. His wounds have just started to close! How could he come here like that?

Yu Jian gave his typical smile and nodded towards Rui, "I'm this stupid girl's husband."

"Stupid—never mind, Yu Jian-ah, how did you get in here?" she hoarsely asked, throat dry from howling at her father. The guards will outnumber them. How will he escape?

He rolled his eyes, "I may be your husband, but I did not marry your stupidity."

"Hey!"

"Minister Xin, not even a tiger would eat its own cubs. I can see now that the morality of Nangong is even lower than animals." Yu Jian said emotionlessly, while still gripping tightly on her father's wrist. That made the man wince a little.

"Watch your mouth, peasant. You dare compare me to an animal? Release me at once! Xin Rui, I never thought that you could disappoint me any more than this. To go as far as marrying a mere, low-class cripple? What can he provide for you? Can he even afford the wedding and gifts? The Xin family will never raise someone as disgraceful as you." Her dad sneered with disgust, staring with judgmental eyes at Yu Jian's injuries.

Rui laughed without menace; rather, it was pity, "Do not worry, for I have raised myself and saw beyond the horizon without the Xin family. I don't need a grand wedding or gifts to be a wife. With him, it is more than enough. Even disgraced, Rui will always be more humane than you will ever be."

"You—"

"You, Third-Ranked Minister Xin Dao, no longer have a daughter with the name of Xin Rui. You have never loved or married a wife with the name of Han Muzhang; only Madam Lin, Xin Meihua, and Xin Hong. From now on, our ties are cut. As for my crimes, I will take them with me." Rui took Yu Jian's small dagger out of her sleeves—in case she needs to make a run at the last moment—and cut off a dense strand of hair. She held out her fist of long hair that took many years of cultivating, and let it fall to the floor like feathers.

The moment it touched the floor, she stood up from her position, stumbling a little. Yu Jian finally let go of Xin Dao's hand to steady Rui. She leaned her body against his for support, while Yu Jian massaged her shoulders softly. It warmed her heart and she smiled softly as she rested her head on him.

His stoic eye met with Xin Dao. Even with just one eye, he was intimidating. Perhaps, it enhanced his domineering aura. "I will take care of the problem once we reach to Wujin. You can live happily with your wife and children. Afterwards, you will never hear from us again."

Xin Dao said nothing as he looked at the two. Rui reminded him so much of Muzhang. So stubborn and fierce.

Forget it. He grabbed a brush and pulled out a maroon covered scroll. He stamped the red signature, rolled it up, and threw it at Yu Jian. With fast reflexes, he caught it without batting an eyelash.

The middle aged man said nothing as he saw the two walk away. He could tell that this man is not as simple as he seems.

Xin Dao sat down tiredly at his chair and rested his head in his palms. His voice bounced back to him in the now, quiet room, "Zhang-er, is this my retribution you spoke of?"