6: An Interesting Man

At night, when the moon was fairly high and shining bright, Yu Jian stepped out of his room and sat underneath a nearby tree. Pulling out a jade flute from his robe, he gently placed it against his lips. An entrancing musical note flowed like water, cooing the forest and its beings to sleep.

However, it seems to spring the life out of Xin Rui, immediately waking her up from her slumber. Her heart raced miles ahead while beads of sweat formed on her forehead. She let out a breath of relief when she realized that she was still in the forest—in the old, abandoned cottage.

The sweet sound of music resembled the musical instruments she played back in the Xin manor. She was not the best at it and was often compared to other girls around her age—or even younger. It destroyed her self-esteem and they humiliated her for years. Father always grunts in disappointment, embarrassment, annoyance—all at the same time.

Xin Rui slowly sat up and headed outside to find the source of the flute. To her surprise, she found Yu Jian's tall figure peacefully tuning a song. She never knew that this man could be capable of playing an instrument, much less the flute. Where did he even get a jade flute in the first place?

The moonlight brushed gently against the lower half of his face. His lonely eyes slowly lifted to meet hers before he suddenly stops in surprise.

"Did I wake you up, Rui-er?" he breathlessly asked with a clear voice, almost like chimes blowing in the wind.

Rui's heart skipped a beat. He really is an attractive catch. But why is her heart acting strange when her true love is Brother Zhi? She paused before shaking her head, "It's no trouble."

She took a seat near him and watched the lonely moon in the dark sky as Yu Jian continued from where he left off. 'Ah, I wonder how Zhi-gege is right now? Is he eating well? Sleeping enough? Studying too hard?'

Rui inwardly let out a breath and her shoulders sank as she hugged her knees to her chest. It doesn't matter whether or not she wondered about him. He doesn't like her. But...he must've at least thought about her, right?

Looking back down, she noticed a folded paper in the shape of a bird under a rock. She serenely smiled, "You and your weird habits. Why do you always put your things under a rock?"

Yu Jian lowers his flute and he remained silent for a few seconds—as if he was lost in thought—before connecting eyes with her, "No reason."

Rui didn't pursue this matter and sighed once more. He's more complicated than she thought. She stood up and patted down the dust from her robe, "I'm going to head back to sleep. Are you coming?"

He was a man of short words so he simply shook his head and said, "Later."

The next day, Rui woke up to an empty cottage. She walked towards the dining table and found a random rock with a note on the bottom: 'Will be back in the evening. Don't get lost.'

She furrowed her eyebrows before pouting, "Is he secretly going into the city without me? Traitor. Perhaps he's going to a brothel—"

Rui stopped herself from saying more as a strange discomfort rose inside of her chest. Her lips pursed and she set down the note and rock in its original position.

Passing by the bronze mirror, she happened to glance at the white jade pin, which was placed neatly in a cushioned box. She had personally carved that box with her own pair of hands (with a bit of help from Yu Jian, of course). It is impossible for it to be considered as a good work of craftsmanship, but it was practical.

She stared at it from afar before walking up to it and touching its cold surface with the small tips of her fingers. Picking up the hair pin, she raised the pin in the air and under the sunlight to admire the jade. The crystals of the blue butterfly spread its wings and colored the room blue, with light darting out from every direction.

Certainly, it was not the highest quality but perhaps, it was in her eyes. She smiled happily to herself before facing the mirror to carefully insert it into her simple hairdo. She adjusted it a few times, making sure that it stays secured and attached.

"What am I going to do for today?" she sang to herself as she pranced around the room before adventuring outside.

Her eyes glimmered as an idea popped in her head: archery. Rui grabbed a bow and a few arrows from a basket. She played with the strings before pulling back to test it. She eyed her target with a smile; the poor tree 20 meters from the cottage would be the victim.

After ten attempts, none have even graze the surface of the tree. She groaned loudly in frustration. A strong gust of wind passed by, whispering, "...loser..."

Tree: 1

Rui: 0

Meanwhile, a man in his forties slammed his fist onto the waxed redwood table. The white porcelain teapot set with a phoenix bird design clattered together due to the impact. Veins were visible from his forehead as his eyes grew red from anger.

"Find her! If you can't, don't even bother to come back! Absolutely useless!" he roared with his booming voice as the guards scurried away in fright.

"Master, don't be angry. It's not good for your health," a beautiful woman in her thirties patted his back in a loving manner. Her red tinted lips pulled into a small frown. The pungent smell of perfume radiated off of her, including aphrodisiac herbs.

"That trash is not filial at all. I arranged such a good marriage for her. I gave her food and shelter, secured her an esteemed place in society, and even planned a prosperous future. Ungrateful bitch." Xin Dao spatted through his clenched teeth.

Lowering the glint in her eyes, she soothed his back as she calmed him down, "Yes, Master is correct. However, Xin Rui is still your daughter. One day, she will come to realize your good intentions and obediently thank Master."

Xin Dao harrumphed and pulled her into his lap instead, "Lin-er, only you would be this understanding and kind. No matter how audacious she acts towards you, you never once complained and even tried harder to gain her trust. It's unfortunate that the disgrace of the family can't see it. Forget about her, how is our good son and daughter, Hong and Huamei?"

Madam Lin smiled sweetly with a motherly manner, completely different from before, "Thanking Master for asking. Hong-er is currently continuing his studies at the imperial palace. A test will be coming up in a few weeks. Mei-er is practicing guzheng everyday, so much that all ten of her fingers are bandaged. They're hardworking and filial to honor Master, aren't they?"

Xin Dao hummed in response before grumbling, "Unlike that trash, Xin Rui."

Madam Lin said nothing as she continued to massage his arm with a hidden grin.