Chapter 22

"I'm really sorry that things didn't go the way you wanted them to," Ben speaks up breaking the awkward silence in the car. "I mean, as long as you're safe, that's..." Mal trails off which makes me smile slightly at how different she's become in these past six months but it also makes me sad, I been gone for six months and I missed watching my friends grow and mature.

"Well, I mean, at least I got to see the Isle. They're my people, too. Uma helped me see that." Ben says breaking my train of thought as we all look at him strangely, he's acting off.
"Ben, Uma captured you." Mal tells him frustratedly which is what I feel like doing, Uma used to be my friend but then the longer I stayed in the isle the harsher and more rotten she became. "She's an angry girl with a bad plan. That's not so different from you when you came to Auradon, Mal." He replies making everything painfully awkward, Uma and Mal aren't really alike, Uma's doing this because she wants to and Mal was doing it because her mom forced her to. "Awkward." Dude says what we were all thinking, making everything even more awkward. "Dude, I know you can talk, but it doesn't always mean you should." Carlos scolds and I want to ask the story behind how dude began talking but I don't think this is the right time, so I stay quiet and picked at the rips in my jeans,

" Carlos scolds and I want to ask the story behind how dude began talking but I don't think this is the right time, so I stay quiet and picked at the rips in my jeans,

After the awkward car ride, we walked onto the field on the way to our dorms? "We need to talk." Evie said gently grasping mine and Mal's arms, "Yeah." We both agreed softly, "No." Carlos interrupted causing us all to look at him confused, "No?" Evie questioned. "You guys are always going off in a huddle, whispering your girl talk stuff or whatever, and Jay and I are tired of it." He ranted which made me feel a bit awkward cause I've not been around for nearly half a year, but I it thought was quite sweet until Jay piped in, "I'm not." He shrugged causing me to let out a laugh. "We're your family, too. We've been through a lot together. We're not stopping that now, okay? Everyone sit. Come on. You too." He said pulling me down with him as I tried to walk away.

"I don't know how to start girl talk." Carlos says after a few moments of quiet "What up?" Jay shrugs causing Evie and I to chuckle, "Um, well... I'm a mess. I'm such a mess. I mean, six months ago, I was, you know, stealing candy from babies, and now everybody wants me to be this Lady of the Court. And I have no idea how to keep up the act." Mal rants and we all just kind of glance at each other slightly unsure what to do but Evie and I put a hand on each of her shoulders to try and comfort her. "Then don't." Carlos tells her plainly and Jay sighs, "See? This was dumb." Jay says as he starts to get up.

"Maybe it wasn't. We're always gonna be the kids from the Isle. I tried to forget it. I really tried, but those are our roots. And we all did what we had to do to survive. But it made us who we are. And we're never gonna be like anybody else here. And that's okay. That's okay." Evie tells us and we all nod. "And we can't fake it."

"Yeah. I mean, especially without my spell book." Mal says looking down. "Mal, if Ben doesn't love the real you, then he's not the one." Carlos says and we all nod, "I like that." Evie says thinking out loud. "Give him a chance."