Chapter Twenty-Seven {See Ya Later}

There was a party planned at Night's house after the game. But I didn't care, I quickly changed out of my uniform. Once I was out of the locker room, sweat still pouring down my face, hair soaked. There were a few cameras and reported for the school's news and small ESPN channels that had followed the game. As the team captain, I had to stop and do few interviews, say how proud I was of my team, how we all played well and made comments on VIP players. We received a trophy for the school, a new banner and we each got metals to keep.

It took about ten minutes to finished and when I was done I bolted into the foyer where I was greeted with more hollers and congratulations from schoolmates, parents, and total strangers. The lobby was packed with people, smelling like popcorn, sweat and ice the cold was nearly muted by the number of bodies that huddled around. But on the far side of the concession was the only person I wanted to talk to.

I made a B line for Henry, trying not to push too many people as I shoved through conversations and pats on the back. He was standing against the wall, our eyes locked and his pushed himself into a stand and nodded his head towards the door before walking out. Trying my best to keep my cool I followed a short distance behind him, my eyes stuck on the back of his head.

He was stood in front of his car, two rows from the entrance, that told me he'd been in the arena longer than I had been able to see him. With one quick movement he unlocked his car and got inside, I was quick to follow. Not caring that I had left my hockey bag in the locker room. I could easily text my dad to get it if this ran longer than half an hour. Which I was expecting and hoping it to.

He drove slowly from the parking lot, then picked up speed as we hit the main road and into the city. No words were shared, but I could tell he was deep in thought. Every red light we stopped at his knuckles would turn white and his lips would pinch. And the more I watched him, the more my stomach did flips trying to figure out what was going on under those long golden locks, what was he thinking about that made him anxious.

Henry pulled into an empty parking lot, stopping into the middle just to turn off the car. He didn't make a move to turn towards me, he just looked forward, the lights from oncoming cars flashed over his face, his eyes searching in front of him but they didn't see anything. His knuckles still clenched over the wheel.

I couldn't just sit here in the defining silence.

"You watched the game?" I asked, it was like a switch went off and Henry remembered that I was, in fact, sitting beside him. His head turned towards me and it was then I saw how tired he really looked. Light blue bags hung under his eyes, his hair, though at first glance had looked well kept had actually been a bedridden mess as though he had just woken up.

"I.." His eyes looked me over before turning back to look out the window. "I did. You played good. Really good. The scouts kept writing things down when you'd score a goal. They eyed you like a hawk."

"Henry." I put my hand on his thigh, but he didn't flinch. "What's wrong?"

"My moms not getting better."He finally spits out, his hands falling into his lap and then wringing together. "Dad doesn't want either of us very far from him. There's a rehab center just outside of LA. James Harbor Rehabilitation center. Its... it's amazing Matthew. She would get all the help she needs." I didn't like where this was going.

"I would still be able to have visits with her, he even offered Glenda a job at his house."

"When.. when do you leave?" I didn't like this at all.

"My flight goes out Sunday night. Moms already in LA at the center." His voice was getting lower, he was speaking in a whisper now. His head never turning toward me. My stomach kept sinking deeper and deeper.

"Well, I guess we can try out the long distance thing. It can't be too hard. People do it all the time. The timezone isn't th-"

"Matthew, what I'm trying to say is."

"I can get a flight out every couple of weeks. Road trip in the summer."

"I think it's better if we stopped seeing each other."

"I'm sure hockey wil- Wait, what?"

"You got targeted in a hate crime, Matthew."

"So? That doesn't mean anything."

"It means something to me, and it should mean something to you. You have a career ahead of you. You need to care."

"Henry. I care about you. Would you look at me, please." It was that that got him to turn his head. His lips parted as he looked at me with sad, tear-filled eyes, tears that didn't want to shed, tears that would when I was still sitting beside him. This was hard on him, on us. I couldn't let this happen. I turned myself towards him, laying a hand on his face, his smooth skin like silk under my fingers as I ran them over his skin slowly. "We can get through this. I promise."

Henry didn't say anything. We sat there for a few seconds, just looking at each other. Trying to memorize each other's faces. After a few moments, Henry pulled back, taking a deep breath and putting the car back into drive, taking the road back to the arena. Only a few people lingered, but I was glad to see my dads truck still parked in the front. Henry didn't say a thing as we pulled up to the door, I looked at him for a split moment before pulling the door open and getting out. Mumbling a see you later before closing the door.

I just wish I had known at that moment that I wouldn't in fact, see him later. 

A/N: The Music videos are a little insight into each boys brains. Red Light, in Matthews point of view of the breakup. Happier is Henry's