5

two weeks later

Adela

Fluffing my hair in the mirror, I run my fingers through my curls and turn to make sure I got every piece of hair. It's Christmas Day and I'm off of work for the night. The past few days have gone good for me. I got the job at Ruth's Chris and it's going well for my first week. The pay is good and the environment is way less hectic. I like it there so far.  After fixing my hair, I look at my fit again and shake my head. This isn't anything you'd wear to meet someone's family. I travel over to the drawer and look through it for a shirt. With all the clothing I buy, I should have something. Not finding anything particular, I head to my closet and look through the shelves and racks. All my shirts were either tight fitting or something I wasn't in the mood for. Getting agitated, I sit on the floor and groan laying my head back on the shelf.

Narrowing my brows, I witness the sky blue colored gift wrap with snowmen printed on it. Standing to my feet, I travel over towards it and grab it. It's the gift my mother gave me when I went to see her two weeks ago. She told me not to open it until today, and I haven't done so. Neatly unwrapping the gift, I open the box and smile at the cream white and gold turtle neck sweater. The top is a cream white with specks of gold glitter that are woven between the fabric, leading to the gold material at the bottom of the sweater and sleeves. I never seen anything like it, but this is definitely something I would wear. My mother use to make all our clothing, with dreams of being a fashion designer. Everyone use to think we were wearing designer clothes, but we weren't. Even my father wore her designs, hoping one day she would let him buy her a shop to fulfill her dreams. My mother was too independent for that. She rather do it on her own, which she did. Taking off my button up, I put on the sweater as my phone rang. Grabbing my phone off the bed, I see who it is and answer it.

"Yo, I'm on my way." He says.

"Ok, just honk the horn when you're outside." I tell him, grabbing my jacket, purse and overnight bag. I leave out room and lock the door, closing it behind me.

"Ard, and don't forget my watch." He says.

"It's already in my bag. I'll see you when you get here." I hang up and jog down the steps to the living room. I witness Tristan in the kitchen, placing food on the counter. It's seven o'clock which means his guest we'll be arriving soon. His family is coming over for the first time to have Christmas dinner. Tristan never cooks, but the way this house is smelling right now has me shook. Let me find out this man can cook. However, just because it smells good doesn't mean it taste good. I place my purse on the couch and put on my beige peacoat, pushing my arms through the sleeves.

"Damn, you clean up nice." Tristan comments, causing me to laugh and smack my lips.

"You tried it. You like it though?" I question, walking an imaginary runway and ending with a turn when I get to the counter.

"Fierce." He snaps playfully. I hit his arm playfully while traveling to the cabinet.

"You gotta chill. Who's all coming tonight?" I question, grabbing the two bottles of liquor I bought earlier.

"My mom and pop, a few cousins, some aunts and some uncles." He shrugs. I nod while turning to face him.

"Sounds like fun." Tristan scoffs while shaking his head.

"If you know my parents, then you know that nothing is fun. You going out tonight?" He decides to question.

"Yes, meeting the parents." I inform, putting the bottles of liquor in my purse.

"Mm. Sounds like you're going to have a ball." Tristan says sarcastically.

"I just hope everything goes as well." I mumble to my self while buttoning up my coat. When meeting someone family, we all know how it can go. Either good or bad, but you mostly hope good. I never met any guys family I was talking too or dating, so this is new for me. I'm nervous as hell but I know how to hold my own. Hearing a horn honk outside, I grab my bags and wish Tristan a Merry Christmas. He tells me to do the same as I leave out and close the door behind me. Traveling down the steps, I get to the entrance and leave out. When I approach the car, I grab the handle to open the door but it's locked. I lean to view and knock on the window seeing he's deep in his phone. He presses the button without looking and I open the door, exhaling deeply while extending my bag to him.