18

two days later

Kris

Fluffing the pillows on the couch, I sit them back where they belong. It's been two days since Adela and I gotten the car and we haven't gotten a call yet for the next move. That didn't stop me  or Adela from trying to find our mother though. Everyone is on alert and doing all they can. It really keeps my head on straight when I have people there with me and helping out. My phone is on me at all times, waiting on that next call. I know who ever this is has eyes on us. Just when we pulled up to that house the other night, Adela had gotten that text of the code to the gate. How else would they know to send it on time. Hearing a knock on my door, I travel towards it and take off the locks. When I open the door to Dijon holding two dozen roses, I smile feeling my cheeks flush.

"These are for you." He says, extending the flowers to me. I take them as he enters my condo and close the door.

"Thank you." We give one another a hug and pull back.

"You're welcome." He says while following me to the kitchen. I take a vase from under the sink and sit it on the counter.

"I thank you for coming. I'm pretty sure you were busy." I mumble. Dijon shakes his head while narrowing his eyebrows.

"No I wasn't busy. I haven't heard from you in a couple of days, so when you called me to fly out here I came with no questions asked." I nod as I cut the ends of the roses and place them in the vase. After filling it with water I place it in the middle of the dining room table.

"We need to talk." I sigh.

"Wassup?" He questions. I take his hand and lead him to the living room toward the couch. I sit on my ankle and face Dijon as he takes a seat. I tuck my hair behind my ear, not really knowing how to start.

"I know I've been distant these past couple days, because I've been going through it. First the nightmares from my father's shooting, then the hallucinations, my sister getting jumped and my mother being abducted. It-"

"Whoa whoa, breathe."

"I'm sorry." I exhale unsteadily as I close my eyes. I was ranting on, letting my words run together. This was the first guy, who wasn't Kaseem, I let see me unravel. I haven't slept or eaten anything, I probably looked wild in the eyes shit I wouldn't know. I haven't looked in the mirror or care to since this shit has been going on.

"What's going on Kris?" He questions. Combing my hair back through my fingers, I bring my other leg up on the couch and lick my lips.

"Six days ago my mother was abducted. They got us on a fucking scavenger hunt and we haven't been told to make moves for two days now." I mutter. Dijon takes my hand and intertwines our fingers.

"Damn, forreal? Do you know who has her?" He questions. Shaking my head, I pull a couple of tissues from the box and dab my eyes.

"The last time this shit happened, it was some random niggas that took my sister, my mother and myself. My father was the one searching for us. I swear after this, I'm going to live a normal life. I can't do this shit anymore." Dijon pulls me into him as the tears fall. I wrap my arms around him while burying half of my face in his shoulder.

"Damn. I'm sorry to hear that love. You know you can call me if you need anything." Shaking my head, I pull back and sniff.

"Thanks but I don't need you getting involved. You have enough on your plate." Dijon nods while lifting my chin.

"That might be true, but I can put all that shit aside for you." He says, staring deep into my eyes. Now why would he say that? Why would those words roll off his tongue so easily when I'm in this vulnerable state. Without hesitation or even a second thought, I kiss him. It was soft yet sweet as my body slowly drew towards his. As I straddle his waist, Dijon places one hand on my side and the other caresses my thigh. His touch is gentle which causes a tingle up my spine. It's been a minute since I felt a man's gentle touch and I fell paralyzed to it. I deepen the kiss causing us both to breathe out. When I realize what I'm doing, I pull back and stumble to my feet.