14

four months later

May 2019

The doors to the kingpin's mansion open and the guest enters. He nods his head to a few guards in greeting, making his way through the large estate. The guest knows his way around so it doesn't take him long to reach the office. Of course like any other time, the doors are closed with two guards posted on either side. It's clear that the person is busy and he has to wait patiently. Once the doors open and the person leaves out and travels to the exit, the guest stands to his feet and enters the office of the owner. As the doors close behind them, they tuck their hands into their pockets. It's been a while since they last spoke and the person they came to see, called them over. He was hoping it was the call he's been waiting on. The kingpin pours himself a drink of bourbon, placing the dark liquor back on the counter with the rest of the selection. The guest sighs in impatience.

"You called?" He questions.

"Yea. How are things going at the DuKane's?" The kingpin smirks. The guest straight faces him annoyed.

"Slow." He responds.

"Slow meaning what?" The kingpin questions while having a seat, taking a sip of his drink.

"It's been four months. When are we going to finish this shit?" His employee irritatingly questions. The man rocks back and forth in his chair while staring at him.

"You got to give it time." His boss mumbles. The guest snatches his head back with narrowed brows.

"Give it time? It's been ten months since we offed Kyree and you talking about give it time! We got the sister jumped, Malachi killed, the fucking armatures we hired robbed them and they're back on their grind again. Kris is up ten times fold from the last shipment. She's not even worried about us, because we're not a fucking threat. We gotta come harder at them man." He stresses while stepping up to the desk.

"She's not worried about us, because she doesn't who we are. I know what I'm doing." His boss assures. The guest smacks his lips and scoffs.

"You obviously don't. Your old ass needs to retire." He says. His boss arches an eyebrow while sitting up to attention.

"I'm not retiring, until I get what's mine." His boss says.

"Then stop fucking around and take back what's yours Pop. The longer you wait, the more difficult this shit is going to get." The guest assures the kingpin.

"Patience is key. Now go ahead and do your job, I'll let you know when it's time." The son shakes his head and turns on heel to leave. As the door close, the kingpin thinks back on their conversation. He knew his son had a point, but he felt nothing was too difficult to handle. He thought getting Kyree would be difficult, but it was easier than he thought. It was as if Kyree gave up and that was enough to get the job done. That's how he feels will happen with Kris. It's already clear that she doesn't even care about the warehouse. She's barely there and then when she is, she handles a little business and leaves. He feels she is nothing like her father Kyree. The way she does business is way different from her father's. He had to admit that she was smart with the way she handled things. Placing a cigar in his mouth he lights it, putting on his jacket. Leaving out his office, he heads out to his vehicle and gets in. He was invited to small gathering and thought he'd show his face.

➰