Treatment

Avery

After Mr.Holt left just shortly after breakfast. I was left confused - Mr. Holt really wanted Rhys and I to go to Bora Bora and explaining to him while Rhys was present made my hands a bit sweaty. Maybe it was the feeling that I didn't want him or any of them want to know about me or my past life? Or it was just the mere presence of Rhys in the same room turned my mind into a mush. I debated with myself if I should just agree and go to Bora Bora but the thought of spending time with Rhys in a complete different country was out of the question. Besides, I was honest.

It was everybody's hardwork and a huge cost for all of this

I remembered the words he said just a few moments ago which made my mind go blank and everything in my mind was replaced with pure fury.

But for some reason I wanted it to let it slide. I didn't want to confront him about this because it will only give him the satisfaction of me getting bothered by his words. And if I confront him I'll be acting the role of a wife. The title I completely hated.

Right now Rhys was saying goodbye to his Dad and I was sitting on the couch where my cane was laying. There were some dishes that needed to be done and I felt like procrastinating.

My left hand was in my hair - my fingers soothing the scalp as I was lost in my thoughts. My right hand fell on the couch onto something cold. I snapped out of my thoughts and looked down at the cold material.

It was a book. A novel.

I squinted my eyes at it "Slaughterhouse Five" I read it out loud. They say you can judge a person by listening to their play list or the genre of the books they read. And taste of Rhys Holt were dystopian and anti-war?

Pretty ironic if you think about it. My fingers danced across the itched words as I felt the paper.

It was a good book though. I had read it before back in highschool. It was a really life-changing.

I picked it up and opened where the bookmark was. My eyes shot up in surprise when I realised that Rhys was writing down his own thoughts at the side of the pages.

I read it out loud "Why believe in something that brings nothing but catastrophe? Why do we have to fight wars where we are fighting our own? Why believe in something like time where there is no free will? Why do we even have to live our lives when they are meant to end? A life where we are going to be slaughtered by cruel words, act-" a loud groan echoed into the room and my eyes travelled to the source of it.

Rhys stood there with his arms folded in front of him "I-I w-was just reading" I threw the book onto the couch like it was acid but my mind kept on going back to the words he had written in it.

"You were curious" he started to walk towards the couch and bowed down to pick up the book - that was now laying on the floor - he then picked up the bookmark next to me and put it where he had left it. I looked at his every action and it felt like this book was somehow one of his favourites. The condition - in which the book was in - was rugged.

Huh. Who would have thought a playboy would actually be a bookworm?

"I just wanted to know on which part you where at" I mumbled and thanked mentally that he wasn't being as asshole at the moment since he had just gotten the news of becoming the next CEO on next weekend. Lucky him! - I'm just being sarcastic.

"You've read this book?" He sat down at the other end of the couch , maintaining a safe distance.

The air around me became thick like tar all of a sudden. Why was he acting.....normal? Then my mind went back to the question he had just asked. From the corner of my eye I saw him quietly reading the book. Pretending I wasn't there.