Heart?

My feet met the ground and I ran to reach her as fast as I could. I could hear the blood pumping in my ears.

Avery was sprawled over the cold floor with her eyes closed I crouched next to her. My arms automatically reached to gather her unconscious body. I pulled her into my lap, my fingers pressed against her cold neck to check for a pulse. I heaved a sigh when I felt her blood race beneath my fingers. My eyes searched her whole body to see any signs of injuries but there were none. And I was thankful for that.

I heard a gunshot.

The dim lights of the house and the light of the police cars  illuminated her face. Someone behind me turned on the lights and stood next to me.

"Is she alright?" Alex asked in a hoarse voice like he was out of breath.

I pulled Avery close to my chest, her head rested on it as small breaths escaped her mouth. My arms tightened around her body as I adjusted her in my arms.

Eyeing the cloth that reeked of the chemical which was probably the reason for her unconsciousness I said "Get the entire perimeter checked. Get a doctor to my room, this instant" I didn't even wait for an answer and got up with Avery secure in my arms.

"Alex. I asked you something" I ordered when I found him standing there staring at a wall. My averted my eyes from him and looked at what had him so shocked.

It was a bullet mark and just parallel to it, laid Avery's cane. Broken into two.

"They took advantage of my absence. Ask the police to be on stand by and get me a fucking doctor this instant. I will look into this Alex. Now go" I said in a low voice and Alex simply nodded and walked out.

When I opened my bedroom door, I was met with coldness. Maybe it was the sweat that started to dry that made me feel cold.

I felt Avery shiver next to me, my eyes immediately looked at her movement. Desending her down to the bed, I covered her almost bare arms with a duvet and tucked her in. I sat next to her, my hand massaged the taut muscles of my neck, I ran a hand through my hair and let out a sigh.

"How did this happen?" I asked out loud. I held my head between my hands and closed my eyes.

Why was I acting like this? Why did I get so frightened? Never in my life I've felt this kind of panic. Never towards anyone. For anyone.

Was this just one of my morals as a human being to feel this way if someone is hurt? For someone who is my destruction.

For a stranger.

It is natural, right? I thought as I turned towards Avery. Her sooty lashed looked even more thick in the light. Her red hair were making her look vibrant. My eyes travelled to the breaths that escaped her sensual lips.

That had lost their pink colour and turned into the colour of pale brown. Her skin was pale too.

There was faint knock on the door and I heard the someone walk in. I turned and found Alex and a man dressed in a lab coat with a briefcase in his hand.

Without a word the doctor walked towards the bed motioned me to move away.

I did even though I didn't want to. I watched every thing he did.

After a few minutes he closed his briefcase and took off his glasses "The chemical isn't that strong. She should be awake in a few minutes now. Even though I would prefer that she should stay asleep.  But when she wakes up, make sure she drinks alot of water. Other than that she is perfectly okay. Maybe, the shock from the sudden attack will be hard for her. But she is fine" he got up from Avery's side.